What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French WW1 75mm Shell Case Trench Art

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
I got these two trench art candlesticks today with a load of other ordnance related items . I couldn't resist showing them on the site as they are definitely some of the best I've ever seen & so beautifully made . Both are French 75mm cases but one has a head stamp I've not come across before having the normal markings but also GL & an anchor . Could this have been a naval case ?

Attachments

• mvc-639s.jpg
    mvc-639s.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 56
  • mvc-643s.jpg
    mvc-643s.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 59
Someone had a lot of skill and patience to reshape those cases,fantastic,thanks for posting,
Cheers,
Don,

Very amazing trench art! You know it is understandable that a bunch of guys in a trench with nothing better to do, would turn to such crafts, but you also know it had to be cramped space in those trenches, and it had to be driving the other guys nuts having to listen to all the banging and hammering all the time.

Thanks for all your comments , they are indeed spectacular examples . However , they've never been near a trench ! 99% of trench art was probably made in small engineering shops in the 1920's as souvenirs for visitors to the battle fields & to use up the millions of old cases laying about . Unless the soldiers involved at the time of the war were in engineering regiments , things like those would be impossible to make on the front line .