What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French WWI spiral artillery fuzes

I know I can come up with some really dicey questions, and trying not to sound like the "village idiot" I have a question regarding the spiral French artillery fuzes of WWI. Why are some brass with the holes, then why are some covered in aluminum with no holes such as the 31 second 75mm fuze I have pictured??? Dano

Attachments

• FR10513.jpg
    FR10513.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 36
The holes are entry points for the flash of the propellant to ignite the black powder time element. There was a paper liner inside of the fuze, you would use a sharp tool to punch a hole at the setting you desired. The flash would enter at that point, burning down the spiral a longer or shorter time depending on where on the spiral the newly punched entry hole was located. The lead cover provided a seal against moisture and rough handling.