What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fron junk status to 35 mm Drill

Andy Naude

Found this "item" over the weekend. My first thoughts were a home made projectile for a 35 mm Oerlikon case. There were however a few things that bothered me. The case had no flutes burned onto it, so it had not been fired. There was a largish, very neat hole made in the base. There was an object on the inside that I could not figure out. I nearly said no thank you, but figured I cound use the bits and pieces as some time.

IMG_5985.JPGIMG_5986.JPGIMG_5987.JPG

Once home I could use a bit of force to remove the projectile from the case. I was still none the wiser. I thought that some one with good equipment and a lot of time on their hands had made this in their home work shop.

IMG_5988.JPGIMG_5989.JPG

Only when my son asked me if the "screw" could fit into the base did the penny drop. Some one els had taken it appart and put it back together in the wrong sequence, this caught me.

IMG_5994.JPG

The head stamp appears to have read "61", which would have made it one of the earlier 35 mm Oerlikon cases.

After a bit of cleaning the excess rust. I believe it to be a factory made Drill.

Any futher information on this item is welcome.

IMG_5990.JPG