What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuse id please

grapeshot

Hi One and All,
Can some one please ID this fuse
I think it is French WWI, it is marked St_Ch with numbers 1 to 18,

OD 53.5mm threads 41 x 2mm pitch and OL 67mm

I would like to know the model and date of it please.

Thanks Jim

Attachments

• DSCF4063.jpg
    DSCF4063.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 62
This is a French Manufactured fuze for Mexican War Era (1916) Mondragon Ammunition. It is marked St Cha (Saint Chamond) and should have a little stamp mark of a beret. This Beret is a French Export Stamp. These fuzes are found on 70mm, 75mm and 80mm shrapnel projectiles. To my knowledge, it was never used outside of Mexico, but was made exclusively for the Mexican Government.

This is a French Manufactured fuze for Mexican War Era (1916) Mondragon Ammunition. It is marked St Cha (Saint Chamond) and should have a little stamp mark of a beret. This Beret is a French Export Stamp. These fuzes are found on 70mm, 75mm and 80mm shrapnel projectiles. To my knowledge, it was never used outside of Mexico, but was made exclusively for the Mexican Government.
Very interesting chunk of information frizzen. Brings to mind Pancho Villa and such. Pershing (commander of the AEF in WW1) also led this expedition. Probably has much more meaning in these parts than across the pond. Now I really want to get one of these fuzes...Dano

Hi,
As some of you are interest in this fuse, here is some more photos of stripped down.

Attachments

• DSCF4093.jpg
    DSCF4093.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF4091.jpg
    DSCF4091.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 20
It is a Belgian S18 fuze. Used on a Belgian 7,5 cm Delattre or normal Shrapnell shell. It can be made at the Saint Chamond factory during WWI.

Hello Jim

The fuze is used with a Belgian "Canon de 7c5 T.R." T.R. stands for Tir Rapide that is quick firing. You can have three sorts of shells with that canon: High Explosive, Shrapnel and "Obus Delattre" (a combined shell with Shrapnel and HE in it). The earliest document I can find the fuze in is from 1916. I also have a document from 1913 where the 20S (you can have the two on the shrapnel and detlattre shell) fuze is mentioned but not the S18. Is it from that era, I don't know. The canon was made from 1906. You can find these shells in the Belgian WWI sector from Nieuwpoort to Boezinge Sas. I try to attach some drawings.

I heard from the fairs on the Menin Road for example in Caf 't canon but never went to one, so I have no idea if it still takes place.

Greatings

Digimax

Attachments

• delattre.JPG
    delattre.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 36
  • s18.JPG
    s18.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 31