What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze , British , WW1

charley777

IMG_3712.JPGIMG_3711.JPGIMG_3710.jpgIMG_3709.JPGIMG_3708.jpgIMG_3707.JPGIMG_3706.JPG
pencil.png

Greetings all,
Any help with this one?
I suppose something is missing....
I think it's for 18Pr , 60Pr , etc
Thanks, Charley

Hi Charley,

How are u mate?

The fuse is a No 100, which is the pre-model to the more common No 101

The fuse is a Nose Graze type used generally on HE shells.
Used a pre-cocked pellet which was released on impact to drive the detonator on to a needle. It went from design to production in 10 days in 1914, but had a poor record to faulty manufacture.
This differs from the No 101 by not having the "cocked pellet" and the 101 was designed to overcome the 100's drawbacks. The 101 had a knurled or grooved ring around the body to distinguished it from the 100.

(It's marked "100" in one of your photos)

Cheers
Drew

Thanks Drew,
Yes i saw the No.100 and did wonder.
As you can tell, i am ignorant about fuzes.
So it is complete then?
Would need a piece (adapter?) to fit 18Pr shell i suppose.
Cheers
Charley

Hi Charley,

My apologies as i forgot to mention prior - it is missing the top bit.

I have attached some photos of my No 101 which is supposedly identical except for the grooved rings around the body for you to see & compare.

..and yes you will require an adaptor (see photo) if you wanted to fit it to a 18pdr shell, although from memory I thought it was used more on the larger calibre shells rather than the 18pdrs, which normally used the No 80 variations....humm perhaps for HE rounds?

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN4646.jpg
    DSCN4646.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN4647.JPG
    DSCN4647.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN4645.JPG
    DSCN4645.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 26
Charley,

The No. 101 screwed directly into an 18 pdr HE shell. You only need the brass adapter (called a fuze socket) to screw a fuze into the 18 pdr shrapnel shell. Although the shrapnel shell commonly used No. 80 and 85 fuzes they have the same 2" thread diameter as the No. 101. The HE shell has a substantial wall thickness compared to the thin shrapnel that required the socket to fit the fuze.

Cheers,

Graeme

The 101 fuze as Darkman stated screws into 18pdr HE shell. Finding the adaptor would be at best difficult. Good luck...................Dano

Hi Graeme,

Yes good point re the HE version - thanks for the clarification!

You're funny today Dan! :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Cheers\Drew