What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze for 20X125 Davy Crockett projectile.

SG500

Premium Member
Here's one I've just picked up for very little money, a fuze (minus its insides) for a Davy Crockett projectile. Its amazing what things crop up!!

Dave.

Attachments

• 6 July 09 015.jpg
    6 July 09 015.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 6 July 09 016.jpg
    6 July 09 016.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 6 July 09 017.jpg
    6 July 09 017.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 45
Plug query.

Does anyone know if they did a plug fuze for the Davy Crockett round?

The fuze I picked up some time ago replaced the plug in the round I have. Not sure if the plug is real or made up. Should there be stamping on it?

Photo shows the real fuze on the left and the plug on the right.

Dave.

Attachments

• 3 Jan 10 002.jpg
    3 Jan 10 002.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 27
  • 3 Jan 10 003.jpg
    3 Jan 10 003.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 21
SG500, Cannot tell if they had one or not. Not my forte so to speak.

Mark

Something about the that plug says "turned replica". One thaing that would make my think that is the lack of protective finish on the plug. Otherwise, it is quite a well made replica.

On the nuclear ones. I am not sure if they are implosion type or gun barrle effect. Does anybody know?

Something about the that plug says "turned replica". One thaing that would make my think that is the lack of protective finish on the plug. Otherwise, it is quite a well made replica.

Yes thanks Falcon, I agree, I wanted an opinion off one of you experts on turning metal, thanks.
Dave.

V40,

The W-54 warhead in the Davy Crockett is fission implosion type. It had a selectable yield up to 250 tons. The single live firing with troops detonated at 20 feet with a yield of 20 tons. The W-54 was also used as the warhead in the Falcon missile, and is the warhead in the man-portable SADM (Special Atomic Demolition Munition), yield selectable from 10 tons to 1 Kt..

On the nuclear ones. I am not sure if they are implosion type or gun barrle effect. Does anybody know?

I think there has been a little confusion here, possibly due to a difference in terms. What SG500 has is not a Davy Crockett projectile, it is a 20mm subcaliber projectile. I believe that his concern is related to the fact that there were numerous types of projectiles loaded for the 20mm subcal (there was a 37mm as well), at least one of which contained DU.

The projectile for the Davy Crockett itself (nuclear) was an over-caliber projectile, fired from a 155mm or 250mm recoiless rifle. This is what is referred to by Hazord. His data is correct (though I might disagree with some of the yield figures) and it was a very basic type of implosion weapon.

There has always been a lot of interest on the DC 20mm sub-cal, and lots has been published in the IAA. If you cannot find any data let me know, I think I have some of it buried around here someplace.....

I do know that there were dummy, drill, and practice subcals. I have a couple myself, I can look for the photos once I get to work.

I think there has been a little confusion here, possibly due to a difference in terms. What SG500 has is not a Davy Crockett projectile, it is a 20mm subcaliber projectile. I believe that his concern is related to the fact that there were numerous types of projectiles loaded for the 20mm subcal (there was a 37mm as well), at least one of which contained DU.

The projectile for the Davy Crockett itself (nuclear) was an over-caliber projectile, fired from a 155mm or 250mm recoiless rifle. This is what is referred to by Hazord. His data is correct (though I might disagree with some of the yield figures) and it was a very basic type of implosion weapon.

There has always been a lot of interest on the DC 20mm sub-cal, and lots has been published in the IAA. If you cannot find any data let me know, I think I have some of it buried around here someplace.....

I do know that there were dummy, drill, and practice subcals. I have a couple myself, I can look for the photos once I get to work.

Yes good point US-Subs, I was a bit slack with the wording of the title, definitely a spotter round and not the main round.

Dave.

Cap material, nice item.

I think your "blank"cap may well have been made up to suit the projectile as your "real" fuse is a diecasting made of Maizac metal, I would have thought any "blank" caps would also have been made in the same material keeping weights etc within a standard-just my pennies worth.

Nice and rare item however.

Dave,

I have attached photos of my real fuze and dummy. My dummy has a flat tip, whereas yours has a very nice curved tip to match the original. I have no idea if my dummy is a homemade one or factory.

Also added a couple of photos of what the Davy Crockett spotter is designed to spot for. It is standing in front of a WWII German flame rocket.

Attachments

• Davy Crocket Fuzes 1.jpg
    Davy Crocket Fuzes 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 17
  • Davy Crocket Fuzes 2.jpg
    Davy Crocket Fuzes 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Davy Crockett 1.jpg
    Davy Crockett 1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Davy Crockett 2.jpg
    Davy Crockett 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
Thanks John, that does clarify another point - I have a plug fitted to another projectile which has a flat tip and looks to be correct.
Dave.