What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze gauge - Seen one before?

Millsman

Premium Member
I bought this today. I've not seen one before but I suspect others may have.

It's a ' Gauge Testing No 9 & 11'. The top cone is marked Fuze No 207 & 208. The lower brass area is marked Fuze No 199.

Below the main thread is marked:

Gauge Testing No 9 & 11 Fuze setting machines 1/1943
CG&T Co Ltd CIA 886.
The screw in alloy base is marked with CIA and a crown.

Photos attached

I assume CIA is Chief Inspector Armaments.

The machined screw in base has vertical slots which alllow a screw to lock the plug into the body at any position. There is a rod in the main body onto which this alloy plug screws.

Very interesting piece, which I assume was for quality control or setting up of machinery in munitions factories.

John

Attachments

• SSCN5414.JPG
    SSCN5414.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 114
  • SSCN5413.JPG
    SSCN5413.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 103
  • SSCN5412.JPG
    SSCN5412.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Fuze Gauge

Very interesting, never seen or heard of one of those before. Since it says "Fuze Setting Machine" on it, I assume that it is for verifying the torque applied to fuzes when fitted to projectiles using an automated process. Have you been able to find any additional information on it?

No, I've just started. When I got it, it was a lump of rust and dirt. I've still got some cleaning to do.

John

Nice find!

CG&T I think will be Coventry Guage and Tool company.
What a nice and rare item, you do not see many of those around!

Thanks Chris.

I'll carry on cleaning and see how it strips down. Factory tools seem to be pretty rare for all munitions. How this survived from 1943 I've no idea.

John

The No. 199 fuze was used with the 3.7" AA Gun which usually had fuze setting machines used with it immediately before the round was loaded. This could have been for testing those machines.

HI Andy

Thanks for that. Yes definitely the same sort of device.

I've stripped mine a bit more and here's a photo of it so far. The splined alloy plug is held in position by a small screw. It then unscrews and a spring can be removed. This spring allows the baseplug to be fixed at various depths. Then the lower part including the main thread comes off. Does this mean it could take different threaded bases for different shells?

Overall it is a beautifully engineered piece of kit.

John

Attachments

• SSCN5416.JPG
    SSCN5416.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I also have a version of one of these, but of all steel manufacture. It is marked:

Gauge Nos 5.7.7A&9
Fuze Setting Machine
C.G.&T Co Ltd

It is dated 1942 with a broadarrow and C.I.A.

It only has 3 positions marked A, B, and C.

It then says on the opposite side:

"A" gives 250 IN OZ
"B" gives 230 IN OZ
"C" gives 270 IN OZ

I don't know if the IN and OZ would stand for Inches or Ounces?? The Fuze Setter for the 3.7" AA was set in seconds.

As both types cover the "number 9", this would be for the "Fuze Setting Machine, No9" and not describing "Gauge, No9"

Attachments

• IMG_4536.JPG
    IMG_4536.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4538.JPG
    IMG_4538.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4537.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
in oz (inch ounces) is a unit of torque so I would guess it is a gauge for checking the torque of the fuze setter.

Hi John,

What an excellent find and superb piece of engineering!!!

I guess this is why we all spend countless days looking around....

Cheers
Drew

in oz (inch ounces) is a unit of torque so I would guess it is a gauge for checking the torque of the fuze setter.

Why yes, of course it is! Using an online conversion:
230 In Oz = 1.198 Ft Lb,
250 In Oz = 1.302 Ft Lb, and
270 In Oz = 1.406 Ft Lb.

I have one not the very same but close It's stamped GAUGE NO. 9 FUZE SETTING MACH.
A GIVES 250 INCH OUNCES
B " 230 " "
C " 270 " "
C.A.M. 1

I have one not the very same but close It's stamped " GAUGE NO.9 FUZE SETTING MACH."
"A GIVES 250 INCH OUNCES"
"B " 230 " " "
"C " 270 " " "
"C.A.M. 1 over 1943"
from CANADA Frank