What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze help

What you have is i think an exploded nose fuze , see attached drawing

Attachments

• Mine sheets 011.jpg
    Mine sheets 011.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 56
It's not a number 81 fuze, it's a No 8 Mk 1 modified fuze from the '30's. It's not an artillery fuze, but suspect it might be airdropped. I'm afraid I don't have the reference works to give a definitive ID, but I'm sure one of our other members will.

ATB

BD

No8 Mk 1 fuze Declared obsolete in 1930
Suorce
British Bomb and Rocket Pistols and Fuzes By Dave Andrews and Alan swan

Attachments

• 8 Fuze 001.jpg
    8 Fuze 001.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 8 Fuze 002.jpg
    8 Fuze 002.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 8 Fuze 003.jpg
    8 Fuze 003.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 22
Rather odd this one.

The asterisks denote a conversion, thus this specimen would appear to have been the subject of four conversions.

R - This is not a listed identification letter, but of the three fuzes with a 'R' suffix I could find, two were conversions where the type of powder in the time ring had been changed.

Z - This denotes the use of a Lead Azide detonator.

RL - Woolwich (Royal Laboratory)

1/31 - would be the date of manufacture.

From what I can ascertain the No. 8 Mk. I was used as a pistol and a fuze. The pistol was declared obsolete in January 1930. Apart from its use on aerial bombs it was also apparently used on the 9.45" Trench Mortar (aka "Flying Pig")

Regards

Tim G.

Hey Everyone, Thanks very much for all your help, it's been most useful. I've been looking all over for some answers for months and within hours of posting my plea I’ve received lots of information.
It has left me with more questions to answer now.
The general consensus seems to be that it was obsolete by the 30’s, does that mean it was totally not used during WW2, or could they have used it between 1941-45?
The main fighting happened in Dec ’41, in which case it must be from artillery or mortar as the Brits (& Canadians) had no air support. But the American’s did bomb Hong Kong in 45 but I’m guessing they would have had used a different fuze.
I have found a few .303 shells with late 30’s head stamp so perhaps we only had old gear when the Japanese decided to take what was rightfully ours (after stealing it from the Chinese fair and square!)
Thanks for everyone’s help, I really appreciate it.