What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze ID needed...

CultOfOne

Morning All

Can anyone ID this fuze, when I first viewed the pictures I thought it was a WW1 'French 24/31 'I' Mle 1914' but the tip doesn't look quite right, any ideas?

There are no markings on it, and unfortunately i don't have any measurements for the fuze.

Cheers

fuze02.JPGfuze04.JPGfuze05.JPG

Attachments

• fuze03.JPG
    fuze03.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 32
Hello,

WW1 French Artillery fuze 24-31mm Schneider design A1644 BA. This fuze belongs to the family of Schneider fuzes with same external shape as 24-31 Mle 14 or 24-31 Mle 1899.
Schneider exported lot of fuzes and you can find your fuze (or similar shape) in Russia for example (pictures)

Regards

14.jpg14 russian.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info MINENAZ16

The only thing that still puzzles me is the cap, all the examples of the Schneider design that I can find have a solid cap, were as this one appears to have a possible screw insert? That’s why I though it may be a 24/31 model 1914 or variant, however it still doesn’t quite match any of the 1914s that I can find…

fuze06.jpg

Hello,

Definitly French Schneider design.

The firm made fuzes with solid cap or with a screw. Schneider fuzes of these series are made with specific "male" detonator holder. 24-31 Mle 14 is made with a common "female" detonator holder.

Regards.

Cutaway of your fuze

schneider.jpg

Cutaway of 24-31mm Mle 14 :

24 31 ml14.jpg

from what I can see on the pictures it looks like the hole in the cap broke out. It not looks like machined. My be it was full of water and broke when the water was freezing in the winter...

from what I can see on the pictures it looks like the hole in the cap broke out. It not looks like machined. My be it was full of water and broke when the water was freezing in the winter...

Nothing broken. In fact the hole in the head is closed by a thin cap.

schneider.jpg
top schneider.jpg