What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze mark 72 MOD 9R

Bulletman

Hi, I am trying to find any information about that fuze or reference, internet link , countrie of origine...

stenciling
MARK 72 MOD 9R LOT50
MODEL AP/S/MT/BS

dimension
Lenght:193mm
With at bottom: 45mm

Attachments

• 100_7132.jpg
    100_7132.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_7133.jpg
    100_7133.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 38
Since it is labeled Mk 72 and isn't designated an M model number, I'm guessing it's U.S. Navy proximity fuze, most likely for 3 inch 50cal and 5 inch 54cal style projectiles. Also possibly for use on the 76.2mm Oto Malera gun.

The Mk 72 is indeed a US Navy variable time (proximity) fuze. It is used in Navy 3"/50, Mk 31 and Mk 33 HE-VT projectiles and the Mk 31 TP-VT projectile. They use either the Mk 7 brass case or the Mk 9 steel case with either the Mk 42 electric rapid fire primer or the Marks 14 or 41 (percussion) slow fire primer. I'm not sure how many fuze Mods are out there. My last reference goes to Mod 17. Odd-numbered Mods up thru 17 have no self-destruct feature and a nose section color coded green. Even numbers with a self-destruct are color coded with a white nose section. The fuze is used against aircraft beyond 450 yards and it has a limited effectiveness against aircraft below 200 feet. Mods 16 and 17 are solid state electronics. Previous mods were older vacuum tube designs.

Proximity fuze Mk 72

Hi, here what I found:

"(U) IDENTIFICATION. Figure 1 shows the appearance and dimensions of the Mk 72 Mods 0 through 13
and 17 fuzes. The Mod 17 is the current Mod. The exteriors of all the Mk 72 fuzes are the same, except
for Mods 10 through 13 which have an ON - OFF switch on the ogive.
NOTE
(U) The Mods 0 through 11 are obsolete; the Mods 12 and 13 are obsolescent. The Mods 14, 15, and 16
are developmental versions that were not procured or fielded after their development.
(U) Type. These are setback- and centrifugally armed, wet-energized proximity (VT)-fired fuzes. The
even numbered Mods have a self-destruct feature. The Mods 10 through 13 also have a selectable
contact backup feature. The Mod 17 has a nonselectable contact backup feature. The Mods 16 and 17
use solid state electronics; older Mods used tubes.
(U) Painting and Markings. All even numbered Mods have a white front case; odd Mods have a green
case. The fuze designation, lot number, and manufacturer's model number are die stamped on the base
ring.
(U) DESCRIPTION.
(U) Material. The front case is plastic. The sleeve and base ring are steel.
(U) Arrangement. Figure 2 shows the general arrangement of the fuze. An impact switch (not shown),
which is the contact feature of the fuze, is under the front case. The spacer block is only used in solid
state fuzes."

Yoda