What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze query.

SG500

Premium Member
When I got this it was painted all over in black paint.
A bit of careful work revealed a nice purple fuze.
What projectile does it go in?
Dave.

Attachments

• 31 May 09 013.JPG
    31 May 09 013.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 73
Dave,

In the late 60's I worked at TGCo/SR. We had a lot of prox fuzes in experimental colours like this for various trials and we tested antenna characteristic in several shell bodies up to 175mm. Navy N97 (or was it 98?) was a major programme in those days. Does your fuze have any markings that might give a clue?

When I got this it was painted all over in black paint.
A bit of careful work revealed a nice purple fuze.
What projectile does it go in?
Dave.

Hi Norman, the fuze has the following markings:

These are NOT struck out:
LOT 15
The numbers 00 to 21

These have all been struck out and some are hard to read so may be slightly wrong:
On the purple bit:
N98 Mk 4 MOD 2

On the rim where it would fit close to the shell
GCo/SR6/59 2930 (arrow)

Dave.

N98 VT Fuze

Dave,
The N98 was used for the Navy's 4-inch QF Mk 16 Gun HE and Practice AA UC (flash or smoke) shell. [Ref Navy Handbook BR932].

The MOD on VT fuzes was often to do with a slight variation in the electronic components schedule (indeed this might have been the only use for the modification number).

GCo/SR should probably read TGCo/SR which stood for The Gramophone Company/ Springfield Road (Hayes, Middlesex - closed now). Alias EMI. It had been an 'agency factory' run by The Gramophone Company/EMI from 1939. It produced the first proximity fuzes which were shipped over to the US (Tizzard Committee) for further development, and duly lost any further credit for their invention. Mind you even the author of 'The Deadly Fuze' acknowledges there might have been British involvement but he could not get any info out of the MoD. (I have conveniently ignored the German work on prox fuzes of course).

Hope that is of some use. Allowed me the soap box bit in any case.

Hi Norman, the fuze has the following markings:

These are NOT struck out:
LOT 15
The numbers 00 to 21

These have all been struck out and some are hard to read so may be slightly wrong:
On the purple bit:
N98 Mk 4 MOD 2

On the rim where it would fit close to the shell
GCo/SR6/59 2930 (arrow)

Dave.

Thanks Norman, excellent information.
Yes, I've looked at the ?GCo bit and at first I thought it looked like a 7 but now you mention it it is probably a T.
Thanks.
Dave.