What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gaines and their uses

F

Fuzeman

I decided whilst sorting through the collection to try to identify the various gaines i had and their uses

Picture 1 shows a small bakelite gaine attached to a AZ(73)A3 fuze , which is the same gaine as used on the SD2 butterfly bombs they were interchangeable.

Picture 2 (17)B fuze with a bakelite gaine These types of gaine were mostly found in this fuze (Info from BD officers 1940 -present day)

Picture 3 (17) with normal steel gaine

Picture 4 Special gaine to screw in under Incendiary bomb tails (normal length too long)

Picture 5 Various gaines detached Ie bakelite , Steel, short Ib , SD2 gaine

The thread for the the small IB gaine is 1 inch UNEF which surprisingly i believe is an American thread on a german bomb ?

Attachments

• GAINES and their uses 001.jpg
    GAINES and their uses 001.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 35
  • GAINES and their uses 002.jpg
    GAINES and their uses 002.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 32
  • GAINES and their uses 003.jpg
    GAINES and their uses 003.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 29
  • GAINES and their uses 004.jpg
    GAINES and their uses 004.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 33
  • GAINES and their uses 005.jpg
    GAINES and their uses 005.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
Gaines

It's good to see what they should look like. Here are my rather sad examples (all empty!).

Tony.

Attachments

• Gaines.JPG
    Gaines.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for showing the different ones. I didn't know there was a smaller one.

The small Steel ones are exclusively used under the Incendiary bomb tails , unless anyone knows differently i would be very interested to know about !