What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Stoves Cutaways and chance!

Millsman

Premium Member
A couple of week ago I was lucky to buy a WW1 Mills 23 Mk III / 36 Cutaway made by Davis Gas Stoves. It was mounted on one of those black china bases sold in the 1920's with a No 5 / 23 Inkwell on them.

The grenade body is in excellent condition, it appears to have an original ring and pin. Lever and body have the D in a diamond marking.

I fitted a cut WW2 filler screw as a temporary measure, but didn't have a base plug.

Yesterday I dropped in to see Siegfried and mentioned I was looking for a Davis Gas Stoves plug. After a brief rummage a near mint Davis Gas Stoves 23 Mk III base plug was found and I could not believe my luck. What are the chances of that? We agreed a price and now the cutaway is restored with all the matching parts. It will be a treasured part of my collection.

Fate or Chance? These plugs are rare, yet there it was.

Many thanks Siegfried. You made my day.

John

DSCN4801.JPGDSCN4802.JPGDSCN4803.JPGDSCN4804.JPG

Last edited:
Nice lever and det anvil made a real good example I will have a look for a damaged brass filler

Thanks Dave. I'd appreciate the filler screw if you have a spare. I've only got couple of good ones that I don't really want to chop about.

It's such great example of a WW1 Mills I'm saddened that someone decided to section it. Uncut it would have been a super example of a WW1 grenade.

John

Why don't you have the filler screw as a whole piece to match the base plug, that what I done to my section mills.

Attachments

• IMG_20161105_110406716.jpg
    IMG_20161105_110406716.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20161105_110415518.jpg
    IMG_20161105_110415518.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 27
Yes it's a possibility but I prefer a cut filler screw where the hole is bisected.

John