What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB fuze

doctor

This is an Gb fuze from WW1 used on 4.7 and 5 in Common Lyddite shell
No number on it, just RL I and under 00/4 or 00/5 or 00/6
12/14 or 11/14 for stamping month and Year
Percussion fuze without detonator
I would like to know the Number of this fuze and if someone have a diagram it'll be wonderfull
I research it since more twenty years now!
I think number 4 or 7
Thank to all

Attachments

• Sans titre-1.jpg
    Sans titre-1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 95
Here's the diagram for No. 17 Fuze, used for Lyddite shells including 4.7 & 5 inch. Is there any sign of the hole in the side for the centrifugal bolt ? Rod
No17DAPercussionFuzeMkIII.jpg

No 44 looks similar but didn't have a centrifugal bolt : looks more like yours :
No44DAPercussionMkIVFuzeDiagram.jpg

Last edited:
Hello
This fuze is earlier than 1914
I dont think this is a No17 fuze but I think more like a No. 4 or 7 fuze (graze fuze)
to date 00 corresponds to 1900
I join a No. 17 pic
qx1bbl.jpg

au revoir

Jean Paul

re fuze

hi thank you but I'm sorry, it's not a 44 or 17
I've put new pictures of different fuze in order left to right, N1, N13, N44, N17,N?, N18, N45
On top of my fuze, there is a hole for safety pin
No cap to remove, several screwing hole for black powder filling
No detonator
Very hard to find... i think it's for marine shell

Attachments

• fuzeCB 002.jpg
    fuzeCB 002.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 82
  • fuzeGB001.jpg
    fuzeGB001.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 59
for all

Hi
Now I think my fuze is the N4
It's the lass Number fuze undidentified now for old artillery fuze
All thanks to Jean Paul

Question about Fuze Percussion No. 17 Mark III

This may seem like a stupid question, and I should probably be able to figure it out, but I don't understand how the Fuze Percussion D.A. with Cap No. 17 Mark III works.

I am assuming that the Needle strikes the R.L. Cap which is initiated, this shears the shear wire driving the steel pellet toward the F.G. Powder. This all occurs providing the safety pin has been removed and sufficient centrifugal force has been applied to move the Centrifugal Bolt.

When I look at the diagram it appears that the Centrifugal Bolt move completely out of the channel and that the steel pellet travels all the way to the F.G. Powder. Is this correct? Or does the Centrifugal Bolt only travel part way and contain another component of the explosive train which the Steel Pellet strikes, in turn initiating it?

Thanks

N17 III Action

Hi
The cap of safety and the pin of safety of the centrifugal bolt are release before the use
After the shooting, the centrifugal bolt moves and releases the central channel
To the impact, the needle disc with needle striking the pellet detonator, the pressure of gases leads the steel pellet and breaks the shearing wire
the steel pellet is propelled in the central channel and comes to bore the screwing plug also allowing hot gases coming from the detonator pellet explodes the bursting charge of black powder
The centrifugal bolt ensures the safety of mouth in the event of premature of the fuze
In this condition, the flash of the detonator pellet will not pass in the channel closed by the centrifugal bolt still in place and struck by the steel bullet
the hot gazes blow out the brass disc in the small side hole in the upper part of the fuze body

No. 17 III Action

Thanks for the reply.

That is kind of what I though happened, with a gap in the explosive train it makes me wonder how effective the fuze was.

Cheers