What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 10.5 cm shrapnel mystery shell

super7

Found this WW1 shrapnel shell a few decades ago near Montfaucon (France). Overall length of the body is 225 mm and it is of course missing the top section. Only marking found is 266 at the base.

Unable to find the exact designation for this shell. Apparently not shown in the well known 'Notes of German shells'. Does anyone has a clue what I have got and if so, provide me with a drawing and info on the type of fuze? Much appreciated.

DSC04210a.jpg

Regards, Jan

Hello
I think for 10.5cm F.H. Schr 98.
Complete round is 289mm.
My fuse Dopp Z 98 with socket is 60mm hight.

If you mean this one I think not because the shape and overall length is different. Also the distance of the driving band on my shell is 37 mm from the base instead of 30 mm.

10.5cm FH Schr 1898.jpg

Then it sould be an Austro-Hungarian "10 cm M.14 Granat-Schrapnell". The German Empire had no regular mountain artillery and the Austro-Hungarian Empire had a lack of heavy long range artillery so they made an exchange.

Attachments

• 10cmM14.jpg
    10cmM14.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Thx but are you sure? Never found anything Austro-Hungarian related in the area around Verdun/Montfaucon/Argonne or other parts of the Western Front in my four decades of visiting those areas.

I'am not sure after 12 years BOCN membership but I think there was an other thread showing Austro-Hungarian ammunition found on the Western Front, maybe even in the Argonne forest.

Did a quick search on the web and found this document with info on Austro-Hungarian artillery at Verdun: https://kb.osu.edu/bitstream/handle/1811/87594/OUDadWF_1918_Thesis.pdf?sequence=4&isAllowed=y

In total, the AOK allocated to the Western Front ten heavyfield artillery regiments (schwere Feldartillerieregimenter 1, 2, 11, 25, 30, 45, 54, 59, 72, 206), each of which consisted of three four-gun 15cm howitzer batteries and one four-gun 10.4cm cannon battery. Additional batteries of 24cm cannons and 30.5cm, 38cm, and 42cm howitzers were also provided. Altogether, 152 k.u.k. artillery pieces were deployed for the Spring Offensive

I was totally unaware that this happened around Verdun. Does anyone has some detailed drawings with measurements of this particular 10 cm M.14 shell to make sure we have the real deal?

Last edited:
The 10 cm M.14 Feldhaubitze or 10 cm M.16 Gebirgshaubitze were Field-Artillery so not even included in this listing as it is for heavy artillery. Good drawings (with measurements) of the Austrian war-time shells are pretty rare. Best chances of finding one is among the Czech members. At least I could find this Yugoslavian drawing:

Attachments

• 10cmM14GSchrapnell.jpg
    10cmM14GSchrapnell.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 53
Some four years ago I found an Austro-Hungarian 10,5 cm shell casing in a local "brocante" not 6 Km. from Mont-Faucon. It now resides at the "14-18 Meuse-Argonne B&B /Museum" (Which is WELL worth a visit btw) . Iff I remember correctly it is of Bi-metal construction (steel base). I'll ask the owner for a picture.

AH 10cm 14/12f Shrapnel is 275mm without fuze (M12f). I don't know the size of the adapter between the body and the fuze, I assume 30mm (visible length of the fuze is 40mm).
WW1 AH shells were found in France. German used lot of guns from other countries on ww1 battlefields. We found Belgian, russian, czech, jugo, AH, etc...

10cm M14 12f.jpg

10cm Granat-Schrapnell M14 body is shorter because of a high HE head.
270mm without fuze / 225mm without head
10cm m14 G-Schrap.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
Austrian artillery was indeed used on the western front in 1918 (cf. the book of Jean Claude LAPARRA)
with an example of the projectiles of 10cm M14 from this sector.
p167.jpglaparra.jpgDSC04379_resize.jpg