What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 10,5 cm

Dwight

I have a 10,5 cm german shell (with brass casing from 1939) which I inherited from my father in law. It is a cutaway round and my father in law had started to remove the paint from the shell. My father in law told me that the shell was painted yellow by the Norwegian army after the war and that it was for a german C/32 gun. From what I can see there is another layer of paint (with stenciling) under the paint which was removed. My question is: Is this the original german paint? Grateful for all information!

20200509_165748.jpg
20200509_165516.jpg

Normally I just leave things like they are but this time I decided to continue the work my father in law had started. Under the first layer of paint, this is what I found.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 46
Some more pictures. Last picture shows the cutaway. As said before, I normally like to leave things as they are!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 47
The markings are not german.

I don't think a cutting torch was used as the yellow color wouldn't have survived it. But wonder which technique was used, a waterjet maybe? I think it's a good base to flatten the cut surface on a milling machine because both cuts are looking accurate and straight just the edges are a little bit ugly :) A 10,5 cm fits on most medium size milling machines. After that grinding the surace with sand paper as a last step.

Many thanks for the information. Much appreciated! Do you think the colour is the original? Attached a picture of the case base.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 39
The black markings on the shell are post war. The designation “TNT” wasn’t used by the German navy/army in WW2 on their ordnance. Also the primer is post war, RA-67 = Raufoss 1967.

Again many thanks for the information! But do you think the colour is original? And yes, the primer is post war made by Raufoss, which makes sense. Any idea if it is difficult to obtain the correct original german primer? From what I understand, the projectile and the shell are original. Would be nice to have an original primer as well! Attached is also a picture of the complete shell.

8.jpg