What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 1000 lb Aerial Bomb

Investment

Hi,

This picture was taken at the Australian War Memorial.

If any members would like to add a drawing or other information it would be appreciated :laugh:

Cheers,

Invest :)

German_1000_pound_bomb.JPG

helluva display though!,the bloody thing wouldn`t fit in my display room!:laugh:

thanks for the pic

waff

Is this the same thing but dropped on land
"At times the Luftwaffe also purposely dropped its standard sea mines, fitted with a suitable detonator, on British cities where they became universally known as Land Mines. With their high charge ratio of 60 to 70 per cent explosive and slow parachute retarded descent they created considerable blast damage in built-up areas. The 1000 kg Luft Mine B was normally employed, and as such was designated Bomben B when used against land targets. During 1941 a new weapon, the BM 1000 "Monika" , made its appearance. This consisted of the sea mine LMB, but fitted with a bomb tail unit, being designed to be dropped like a conventional bomb without a parachute. "

found at
http://fishponds.org.uk/luftbri5.html

good info with a great link there mate!B)

Ive just finished watching `Danger UXB` for the umpteenth time and one of the episodes features one of these mines.
they had to be de-fuzed by the Royal Navy if im correct?

cheers

waff

Many thanks Mad and Spotter for the additional information :laugh:

I thought that because it was shaped like a bomb that it would be a bomb. I never thought it would be a mine. I should have had a closer look at it's description card.

Cheers,

Invest :laugh:

I agree with kz11gr, that thing is way to big to be 1,000 lb. At least 1,000 kg. or larger!

Last edited:
This is a BM 1000 or GG type mine its weight 1000 Kg total, charge about 700 Kg cast Hexanite.