What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 15 cm Shell WW1 !!

Dave83

Hello i bought yesterday a nice german 15 cm shell ww1 but the outside is in realy bad conditions i will restore it !
I need some color shemes of this shell it dosent matter what kind of shell gas .Shrappnel ,Explosive because the original paiting is not visible and also no markings are there !!

Please help me out !!!

Regards David

Here is one picture of my shell !!

Attachments

• image[2].jpg
    image[2].jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 124
Hi doc

what kind of blue you have any pics that would be realy helpfull !!

Thanks

David

German 15cm shell WW1

Hi Dave, I have seen a restored German WW1 shrapnel projectile that was restored. It was painted solid slate blue-grey and also had the m1892 Dopp Z 92 brass fuse.
By the way that is an awesome bruiser, must weigh about a ton! Dano

Last edited:
hello

something like this but little deeper blue

Attachments

• 15cm schrapn.jpg
    15cm schrapn.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 85
thanks for the many replys !!

thanks for the many replys i have seen often there are some pages of abook postet here for shells in color !!
Maybe one of you got this book and can post the page about my shell here ??
I will post here a example page of the book from a other treath only to show which book i mean !!(not my shell )

Yes dano thats right not a ton but the weight is empty more than 25 kg !!

Regards David

Attachments

• 398c1[1].jpg
    398c1[1].jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 36
Your page is extracted from: NOTES on GERMAN SHELLS (second edition)
Published by: General Staff (intelligence), General Headquarters, 1st of May 1918
The book should be in the library of the 'Imperial War Museum'

However, the Shell as identified by Doctor is not mentioned in this publication.

Last edited:
Ok thanks

ok thanks for this information ammodillo !!

But now one have a paint sheme of this round ??

Otherwise i will use the pics from kz11gr and will make it slightly deeper blue but a picture was realy helpfull !!

Thanks Regards David

Dave, the paintstore should have the colour formula 'knigsblau royal' for mixing to DIN or RAL colors.

ok thanks for this information ammodillo !!

But now one have a paint sheme of this round ??

Otherwise i will use the pics from kz11gr and will make it slightly deeper blue but a picture was realy helpfull !!

Thanks Regards David

Hallo Dave83

Aber du kennst schon die richtige Farbe der Granate , da auf dem Bild der 10.5cm die du gezeigt hast.
Diese blaue Farbe ist die ganz genau Farbe der Deutsche Schrapnell Granate whrend des erstens Weltkrieges .

MFG von Paris :tinysmile_shy_t:

attachment.php

ok super

Danke ja diese Granate befindet sich auch in meiner Sammlung des heisst der Blau ton war bei 15 cm und 10,5 cm genau gleich !!!

Ok dan ist alles klar !!

Vielen Dank

Viele Gruese nach Paris

mfg David

15cm shell

Hi Dave, The suspense is killing me. Have you decided what you're going to do with the 15cm shell? Dano

out of interest
your shell is fantastic (I'd love to restore it)
Just dont get too hung up on the corect colour blue.
I used Humbrol paints and lots of difrent images from the net and BOCN as reference then I select the best shade in between that I think looks right.
Ive had to do this because otherwise I would have pulled my hair out trying to get it right,and I dont believe there is a right way to do it,just as long as it looks close.
Ive studied loads of images of the 'correct' shade and found all the images differ in some way.
some images are bleached out with too much or too little flash,some are over saturated in colour,and age and storage conditions all play a part in the paint finish.
I painted my shell in the base colour blue then used a wash, i.e.a watered down darker version of the base colour to add depth and covered the blue in that. Ater it was all dry and any markings painted (yellow cross) I then mixed up a 'wash' of dark brown and covered it with that,let it dry and used the finest wet and dry to take off some of the dark brown and dark blue off so it gave the impression of age. (almost like nicotine staining)

Its the same principal as ageing new clock faces with cold tea.

This technique works for me because I dont like shiny glossy shells,and after 90 years I feel there should be some age showing.
But its down to personal choice,above all have fun and experiment,you can always clean it off and start again.

18 pounder

Attachments

• DSC01888.jpg
    DSC01888.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC01889.jpg
    DSC01889.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 37