What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 15cm projectile ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Can anyone ID this half sectioned 15cm German projectile? On a cursory glance I thought it was WW1, a 15cm Haubengranate 16 as in the data sheet (or similar model) but on closer inspection the gain is definitely second war. There are no waffenamt stampings on it and no date stamp (probably a casualty of the sectioning), just the Ub that can be seen in the picture. Because of the similarity to the WW1 model I have assumed chemical (which might be completely wrong) but what is the significance of the two colour sections denoting contents? Any ideas welcomed.

D

S4200028.JPGS4200031.jpgS4200030.jpgS4200029.jpgView attachment 15cm half sectioned.pdf

Here you are sir.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 15cm Hbgr16 Umg.jpg
    15cm Hbgr16 Umg.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 87
That's great, many thanks for the quick ID. Do you know the two chemicals that are designated by the white and green innards? Is it likely that the shell itself would have been manufactured during the first war and then altered later, or simply made during the second war? Thanks again.

D

And here you have a picture of the übung projectile. The two parts of the loading are : a loading pressed tear for the weight of the shell under a loading of 2 kg black powder.

Thanks to H. Belot for his documentation.

Yoda

Attachments

• 15cm Hbgr 16 Ubung.jpg
    15cm Hbgr 16 Ubung.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 54
Hi,
I would rather go with 15cm Hbgr 16 umg b.
There seems to be the gr Zdlg C/98 rather than Zdlg 92
Unfortunately there was no picture in the copy of HDv 481/22.

Bob

Attachments

• 15cm Hbgr 16 umg ub.jpg
    15cm Hbgr 16 umg ub.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 24
Hi,
I would rather go with 15cm Hbgr 16 umg Üb.
There seems to be the gr Zdlg C/98 rather than Zdlg 92
Unfortunately there was no picture in the copy of HDv 481/22.

Bob

Thank you Bob. What date would that publication be?

D