What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 250 concrete bomb tails..

waffenamt

Gents,
Do any of you know the correct colour scheme for said 250 tails in the topic title?

Its ok looking at black and white shots in the manuals but i would hope someone has a minty set in their collections for reference instead?

cheers

waff

Hi Waff. from US tech manual "German Drop ordnance"
SB250 -Blue green over-all. Stenciled in black between trunnion band and fuze pocket.

no worries... as im open on that page... heres some construction detail....

The bomb body consists of a 3/8 inch metal explosive container. Surrounding the container is a 2-inch concrete apron with scrap steel imbedded throughout. A single transverse fuze pocket is used. A metal piece 3/16 inch thick of saucer shape, is the nose piece for bomb. The tail is sheet steel with four single braces.

Hi waff, the colors where brownish but we found one with some colors left that where bleu green also, the tail has the same paint.

Attachments

• 296.jpg
    296.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 53
Are we talking about concrete training boms or HE-bombs with concrete skin?
Here a photo of 250 kilos training bomb. Fins are tan as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thank you Gentlemen. :)

I assume the tails are like the one pictured by Reino. The concrete poured into the mould and then left to set.

cheers

waff

Concrete training bombs have a steel "backbone" where fins, fuze pocket, lifting eye thread and any other steel parts are welded on. Then this skeleton was placed in a mould and concrete poured in.

Concrete training bombs have a steel "backbone" where fins, fuze pocket, lifting eye thread and any other steel parts are welded on. Then this skeleton was placed in a mould and concrete poured in.

Ok my friend,thank you.
The item in question is elsewhere at the moment and will hopefully be posted to my restorer pal.
As soon as he gets it,i will ask for pictures.

cheers and best

waff