What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 40mm HE Colour scheme

5th Armored

Hi All-
Does anybody have a photo or link to info on the paint scheme for WW2 German 40mm HE projos? I have reliable information that they were dark green with a red stripe above the driving band but a pic or diagram would be a big help. I have some resin repro projectiles I want to paint.
Cheers
Chris

I have no specific info about the German 40mm (Bofors, I presume), but I thought it was generally the case that German AA guns came under the Luftwaffe and the ammo used Luftwaffe colours (i.e. yellow for HE, with red or green bands indicating other elements), while dark green was used by the German Army for its HE shells.

I have no specific info about the German 40mm (Bofors, I presume), but I thought it was generally the case that German AA guns came under the Luftwaffe and the ammo used Luftwaffe colours (i.e. yellow for HE, with red or green bands indicating other elements), while dark green was used by the German Army for its HE shells.

That was what my friend thought as well Tony, but all the ones he had pass through his collection over the years were dark green. I don't know much about the Bofors gun but perhaps it was used in other roles besides strictly AA?

Although I cannot help with the correct colour scheme I thought I would post a picture of a recovered (inert) German 40mm Bofors projectile, soft iron driving band. Came with the badly damaged case but the projectile was worth saving as it is very different from the British WW2 example pictured alongside. The German Navy KZ 40 fuse fits and is logical as it was in common use with 37mm German Navy AA weapons.
Hope this is of some help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 38