What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 5cm tank gun HE colour?

Tony Williams

As the heading says....I have a 5cm L/42 HE round with the projectile (re)painted black. Is this the correct colour or should it be yellow?

Thanks for any help.

The 5cm HE
I think they are green with black letters on marcage.
regards

5cm-pak.png

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen.

I have to say I am surprised - most German WW2 HE projectiles I've seen (of any calibre) seem to be basically yellow.

Commonly, the yellow explosives shell are used by the Kriegsmarine.
"Land forces" used a grey/green color with black markings.

Yoda

And AA (Flak). Forgot to add Luftwaffe as well.

Last edited:
Do not let us forget that all 3 (or 4) German services used different color codes. Some were identical and quite some NOT. So do not apply 1 scheme too all German ammunition as it will not work.

Maybe this is of some use.

Attachments

• KwK.jpg
    KwK.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 31
  • KwK 2.jpg
    KwK 2.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Thank you all - but unless someone knows of a paint in the right colour which can be bought in very small quantities, I think it might be better for me to leave it black!

Tony, try a shop for scale modeling and tell them what you need (above mentioned was RAL 6006). They have tiny paint cans. One will be enough to repaint your shell.