What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 7,7 cm Kartätsche (canister)

Alpini

Premium Member
Hello,

I am looking for a picture of a good condition German 1st WW 7,7 cm Kartätsche as seen on the attached picture. Basically I want to know if the steel sheet metal was tinplate?

Attachments

• Blatt 72-1.jpg
    Blatt 72-1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 47
Canister shots (or 'Grape shots'), were designed for close range defence. It was generally a cylindrical zinc or brass box with very thin walls, closed at its base and top by cheap means, and filled with lead bullets somewhat heavier than the ones of the shrapnel shells.
This ammunition was dismantled inside the gun tube by the discharge and propulsed its bullets load at point blank. In WW1, most of the guns needing this kind of ammo could use a conventional shrapnel shell to obtain a comparable effect by setting the fuze at range 'zero'
The canister shots were therefore rarely used during WW1, except for some specific applications, such as close-range fortresses defence guns or infantry guns.

Pozri

Ahh thanks, already knew this drawing but had no idea to look at it.

Fig. 6 says "Mantel aus Weißblech" which means "body made from tinplate" so my assumption was right.