What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 75mm pzg 39?

Bigboom

Hello,

I picked this up today, it's not in the best shape but I'll take what I can get! It is pretty rusted and the cap is dented. I did some searches and I think it is a German 7,5cm Panzergranate 39. It has been painted with latex house paint but you can see there is a green non latex paint under that which covers the entire round (no red band under latex paint). Would that be the original paint or a green primer? If it is original, I might use a latex paint stripper to remove the "fake" paint...if not then I will probably strip everything and fill the rust holes and repaint. Also, how hard is it to remove the ballistic hood? it has a dent I would like to pop out. What do you guys think?

7,5cm 1.JPG7,5cm 2.JPG

it is surely the 75mm for kwk 37 apart the green the rest seems original..
but maybe i wrong

I take it that you have measured the diameter to confirm it is 7.5cms?

The reason I ask is the projectile does not have the profile of a characteristic 7.5cm Pzgr 39. The ballistic cap has more of a look of the earlier 7.5cm Pzgr but it has a larger base cavity. It might be a 7.62cm Pzgr 39 rot. projectile.

Regarding the cap I would think it would be difficult to remove and more likely to cause more damage.

PC

The first time I measured it I eyeballed it with a tape measure. This time I measured the circumference around the body of the projectile and did the math...it is 76.076mm in diameter and about 30.5cm tall. Are either of these projectiles fairly common to find these days?

The measurements are consistent with the 7.62cm Pzgr 39 rot.

I wouldn't say they are rare but they don't seem to turn up as much as the Pzgr 39 projectile.

Ok, so I did some searching for the 7.62cm Pzgr 39 rot. and found the below info. Based on the measurement of the cap (8cm) it must be the 7.62cm Pzgr 39 rot. Looks like mine was painted correctly with the black paint and the red band but it is missing the white FES marking because of the steel driving band. Also the tip is not painted white like the drawing suggests. Maybe one of these days I will restore it. Does anyone have any pictures of a properly painted projectile?

7,62cm pzgr 39 rot 2.jpgK_Gr_rot_Pz1.jpg7,62cm pzgr 39 rot 1.jpg