What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German ammo box WW2

flak18

Hi to you all
Can anybody help ? I recently found a WW2 box for a round of ammo for the German 10,5cm le FH 18 M. It originally contained only one projectile and one cartridge case..... this being because the box is for the Fern round..the long range projectile....and since the stress of firing the projectile with extra propellant was much greater than normal only certain types of cartridge cases were allowed to be fired with this projectile.
Does anyone know the exact contents of the box? Projectile..yes...case..yes... but there was something else in between the two. I know that the propellant for this case extended about 2 inches beyond the case mouth and have allowed for that but there is still an unused space....Help PLEASE.:tinysmile_shy_t::tinysmile_shy_t::tinysmile_shy_t:

German ammo box

Hi Blackwatch
Thanks for your reply. The box in the link you sent me I think is wrong. The projectile is the normal HE one with more length below the driving band. The Fern one is shorter below the band but longer overall. My box has all the original wood dividers in place and the space between the end of the charge and the tip of the fuse is not big enough to fit the Kart Vorl container in. I don't think this box would have contained a Kart Vorl container... a box of 10 for 1 round doesn't sound right. Sorry if I sound critical..I just would like to be sure what the other object was in this box. Thanks again for your help....Flak 18:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Now i know what you mean , i take a look in my own ,
10,5 cm box, and there is a space of 4cm between ,
projectile and case.