What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Bomb Fuze Question

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Quick question - my references on German fuzes are not the absolute greatest, and I have a chewed up 89B with a question.

The fuze is marked Zt Z 89B 29d G bzz. the curious part for me is that the fuze appears to be an annodized red, which I have not seen before. Recognising that my experience with German fuzes is limited, I humbly await explanation from my betters.

Attachments

• Zt Z 89 B.jpg
    Zt Z 89 B.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 51
Hi US-Subs,

I think the red paint was used on air-burst fuzes. Certainly used on the 9, 59, 79 and 89, to my knowledge. The fuzes in the 9 series were all air burst, mainly,( but not all ) for containers. Though I'm no expert either.

regards
Kev

Red paint is fine, I've also got the 89B painted in red and in gray. But never seen it annodized. I'm pretty sure its not paint.

Here is my red and my gray.

Attachments

• Zt Z 89 B.jpg
    Zt Z 89 B.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Zt Z 89 B (2).jpg
    Zt Z 89 B (2).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 46
Hmm,good question with the anodizing??
I think our man Kev is spot on with the explanation of the red paint in connection with the airburst fuzes.
As for your grey one,that could be coloured thus as its an inert training fuze??
A deeper explanation could be sorted from our friend Madbomber as he is premier on these fuzes. :)
best

waff

the second grey fuze looks to have been painted grey over the top of the red. this seems visible in the photo. INERT is stamped in english too... red paint is in German stamped letters, but doesnt appear to be in the word INERT so think this was a captured example used for instructional purposes, and painted grey at this time.

the second grey fuze looks to have been painted grey over the top of the red. this seems visible in the photo. INERT is stamped in english too... red paint is in German stamped letters, but doesnt appear to be in the word INERT so think this was a captured example used for instructional purposes, and painted grey at this time.

Great observation Nismosonic, there does appear to be red paint under the grey fuze.

I think what US-Subs was originally looking for was an answer to the question about the 'annodized' red, as opposed to red paint. I mis-interprited the original question and seem to have got this thread running on another line. Apologies.

I would hazard a guess that the 'annodized' red fuze is just a variation as opposed to paint. Sorry I can't help further, anyone else help with this?

regards
Kev

Its like Kev saying the 'annodized' red fuze is just a variation as opposed to paint seen it on more fuzes and parts but very late in the war.

The gray 89 maby they where trying them in HE bombs.
I have a 17Bm thats gray to to be used in HE bombs to distroy ammo dumps.

Are you sure the red color is anodizing? It's hard to see it clearly in photo but looks like it's partly peeling off? Could it be thin red lacquer instead - similar than used in AZ39 artillery fuzes and some others having top of the nose lacquered?
There are German WW2 mine fuzes of aluminium anodized brown but I don't recall other anodized colors.