What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Bomb Manual

BMG50

Premium Member
I have this copy of a manual on German wartime bombs that i bought on ebay many years ago. It has an Imperial museum logo on the cover. Dated around March 1944 of USN origin and very detailed in parts. I shows section A and B in the index, A being bombs and B being the fuze section. This copy i have is A, showing many bomb types, its index is listed showing section B but its not in the manual. Has anyone seen this manual and knows if there is a part B available showing the fuze section.

Attachments

• IMG_2203.JPG
    IMG_2203.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Maybe similar to German Explosive Ordnance 1666........???

Could you take a couple of shots of the contents - that may help

regards Kev

Hi Kev it seems to have a different format to the 1666 tech data, show more measurement details etc. I post some more pictures.

chris

Sir,
Your manual is the forerunner of the German OP. It bears the logo of the US Navy Bomb Disposal School and was produced by them based on the MEIU # 2 intelligence reports.
I can't read the signature but probalby know wh he was.
Regards,
John

My copy ends on pg 341 and contains the fuzes.

@John, it is signed by T.L. Boardman, Lieutenant, USNR, Officer in Charge

That's the fellow signed by signed by T.L. Boardman, Lieutenant, USNR, Officer in charge, my copy ends on page 155, German propaganda rocket bomb, most probaly end of part A. Now who has a copy of part B and C, fuzes and Land mines. Funny how the copy has the Imperial war museum logo on it.

Mine has "Reference Only" written on the top. It was part of a series of manuals copied by the 54th EOD at Ft. Monmouth and sometimes referred to as "The Hurtle Files".

I'm guessing you all might like me to scan the whole thing and post it?

Whilst it says that it was compiled by the US Navy BD school, I think they may have been a bit economical with the truth as it is virtually the same, drawings and all, as the RAF manual of the same date. We probably shared it with the US.

U.S. and U.K. did share information. As to its accuracy I really can't say.
John

Chris, thanks for sending me the SD2 related material by email.....unfortunately I cannot add anymore to what has already been said, but the text etc is very similar to the later 1666 manual - what you have, as others have said is earlier and the 1666 manual appears to have been compiled from these statistics.
I have seen this information before, but until now didnt realise which document it came from, so you have helped me identify the source. Although going on the above posts there appear to be one or two shared sources of this information, both British and American.

Apprreciate the trouble you went to in sending the info through
thankyou and kind regards
Kev

Thanks EODTek, Lt Tomas Boardman was the second OinC of the BD school.
OKay Norm, who relieved him and was the last OinC?? :)
Bart

Sorry Bart, I don't know the answer to that. Kauffman was a bit of hero of mine once I had heard of his story. Of course a lot of Americans came over here to in 1939/40 to join the UK forces but not too many got into EOD as far as I am aware.

Last edited:
Norm,
Tom Boardman was relieved by Lt. Philip avid, USNR who served as OinC until the end of the war in October 1945. Oddly enough Boardman and David were graduates of Kauffman's first Bomb Disposal class #1. Kaufman and Boardman were dead when I began researching the BD history of our Navy. At the time David was living in Texas and gave me enough documented data to start our grand history. David as since passed away but not before he was able to read the published BD story.
I didn't really expect you to know about David but it gave me a lead to let the members know who our Officers in Charge were. Unfortunately the BD and MD histories are our of print. you can download the MD history here at BOCN.
Best Regards,
John

John,

I have a dozen of the original 'Black Books' produced by your old school. Nine of them have a facsimile signature of David on the page following the title page - you would think I would have put two and two together and come up with the answer!