What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Bomb parts - Shoreham Aeromart

Rockteer

Hi,

I recently attended the Shoreham Aeromart which is held in March and a few inert ordnance related items turned up. Looking through one box I noticed a few bags with various German bomb parts contained inside, bags were priced at between 2 and 3 each so I snapped up the lot!

I have to confess, a few of the items have got me miffed, the first item is a bomb nose cone which is supposed to have originated from a large German bomb found on Silecroft beach (see photo of label) these items were once part of a museum that has now unfortunately closed. Once Identified they will go on display in our museum. Can anyone confirm what bomb this nose plug originated from please, is it indeed German?? I certainly do not recognise it, could it be from a Herman?? Again the label states... "identified as German by the bomb disposal lads and blown up". Did anyone on this forum attend maybe?

The next job lot contained a fuze locking ring and some items described on the label as fuze seating rings?? again never seen these before, does anyone know anything about these please? Also is the annodised item bomb related??

The last job lot contained a large lifting eye (the biggest I have seen) which I assume is from a 500 KG or bigger?? the second item in the bag appears to be some kind of cap from a German air drop container, maybe a flare container??, again can anyone ID this for me please.

Will be interesting to see what you chaps come up with.

Cheers

Dan

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0023.jpgDSCF0021.jpgDSCF0019.jpgDSCF0020.jpg

Last edited:
Central ring in picture 3 does indeed look like a German fuze locking ring for aerial dropped munitions.

Nismosonic is correct, but maybe I might extend this further.......

I think the reference to 'seating ring' in picture 3 refers to the part of the locking ring in the picture. The outer piece with the thread locks it into place. I guess we always refer to them as a whole as locking rings but I guess to be more specific, the inner ring is a seating ring (this allows the fuze to be positioned correctly in the bomb by means of the small lug which locates into the fuze pocket and the indent which seats the lug found on the side of the German fuzes). The other ring, which fits outside this one is threaded and is the locking ring, the screw threads locking the fuze into position in the bomb.
So perhaps the other bits are something else???

hope this helps a little.

Also the bomb lugs are often marked with a waffenampt mark on the bottom, so may be worth a closer look.

regards Kev

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me. Here's something I got at Shoreham. It was attached to a display board together with a standard German incendiary bomb. It is a single piece of somewhat corroded magnesium 23 cm long, with no sections, no holes and no markings. The front end is threaded and bevelled to take a standard German incendiary bomb fuze, AZ13A, AZ8312*. It's a bit of a mystery. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Tony

Attachments

• Unknown incendiary bomb 1a.jpg
    Unknown incendiary bomb 1a.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Unknown incendiary bomb 1c.jpg
    Unknown incendiary bomb 1c.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Unknown incendiary bomb 1d.jpg
    Unknown incendiary bomb 1d.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 18