What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German bomb tail fin found in garage from a WW2 bomb dropped on Liverpool docks

Aquaamazonas

Hi, Found this forum as i was searching for info on a tail fin from a german ww2 bomb just recently rediscovered whilst clearing my dads garage. I remember it from childhood but have not seen it for 30+ years and had forgotten all about it until a house sale meant it was time to clear out a garage full of junk and i found it again. I remember my dad telling me that his father had brought it home during WW2, he was a docker at Liverpool Docks and the story is that it had been dropped onto storage buildings at the docks. It is about 20-24" tall and has german markings on one of the fins. From my google search it appears about the right size for a 50kg bomb ? I was interested in finding some further info and if it has any value to collectors. Will add a picture when i get home from work. Any info greatly appreciated.

Pics as promised, tried to show the markings as best as i can photograph them. It looks like one of the stamps is 39, could this mean 1939 ? It measures 20.5" tall. They are very light, maybe aluminium or magnesium ? Just after info at the mo, any help really appreciated. Cheers

photo.jpgphoto(1).jpgphoto(2).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like its been re-painted ? the dark green is the original German colour ! look on the bottom of the fins for a eagle and other stamps ! There the HIGH EXPLOSIVE, SC50k fins early war aluminium, they may have been repainted if this has been used as a planter at some time or as a deception trick by the Germans to fool bomb disposal teams !

If you get the DVD blitz street from amazon for 4, it shows you what affect this had as well as its bigger brothers !!

Thanks for the reply, I suppose he could well have repainted it and used it for something. Its been like that ever since I've known it, early 1970's.

First of all Aquaamazonas, a warm welcome to bocn.

The tail is off an SD50 !!!! (50kg as in the link that Panzerknacker put on above)

The SD50 is a thicker cased bomb and the red paint is correct. I think the light grey paint possibly an overpaint on the original field grey (green/gray) paint visible underneath.

(yellow stripes were used on the SC bombs and red stripes were used on the SD bombs.........(I have no idea why the bomb in the link has yellow fins as they are definately SD fins fitted to an SD bomb???))

The date will indeed be 1939 and you can also see some nice inspection marks (eagle and number beneath) found only on early examples. There is also a manufactures code/logo on there.

These alloy fins were prone to breaking up on impact, so its always nice to see them with four fins.!!

A very nice item ............especially when you 'forgot' about it !!!!!!!!!!! (great too to have history with them!!)

regards Kev

Hi Aquaamazonas welcome to the forum, not only do you have a nice set of fins but the historical providence of its history, this would add too the value, i would get your dad or relative to get it documented (not sure how this would be done properly). Its nice for a collector to find any piece of ordnance that has a bit of history to it were it was used and found etc.

Good afternoon guys. Thanks for all the fantastic informative responses, friendly bunch around here :) It's nice to learn some more about it and I will definately do as BMG50 suggests and write down the little history i know. I think it would probably be better in a museum or collection where it can be appreciated, I never realised there was much interest in these things until i found this site. My fiances face when i brought it home and put it on the hearth nine months ago was a picture, she hates it !