What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

german fuse

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, could anybody help with identifying this German fuse the threads are 57.5mm, its made of brass and the top is steal, and what type of shell did it fit
Thanks in advance
Andy

Attachments

• german fuse.jpg
    german fuse.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 36
Thanks Dano, i thought it looked like a HZ14, the only markings i can see are 120 on the side one or two letters on the base a german type s and a 1 and a 10 and a square with a line through it.
Andy

Kz 14

Hi Andy, The KZ series was marked as such on the top section of the fuze which is iron and probably coroded away. On the passion compassion site there are some great pics...Dano

Hi Dano, i had forgoten about that site i have just looked and you could be right it lookes like a KZ14 just need the rest of it to go with it :tinysmile_shy_t:
Cheers
Andy

Hz kz

Andy, About 99% sure that is a KZ14. If you look at HZ14 in pic it is a somewhat stubbier piece. that KZ is not an easy fuze to find...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 166.jpg
    Picture 166.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 11
Hi Dano, the only thing that puzzles me is the threads on it, my doppZ96 that fits the 7.7cm shell i have has a 45mm thread and the KZ14 has a 55mm thread where as the HZ14 has a 57.5mm thread the same as the one i have, so completely confused
Andy

???

Okay I see what you mean Andy, like a hybrid or something. Most of the HZ14 are all brass. yours has the iron top also more of the general shape of a KZ14, but the threads. I did say only 99% sure right. There are a couple of members here that come to mind who may want to jump in here. Incidently that DoppZ96 is a way cool fuze. I have one and my favorite. Maybe the KZ14 eventually replaced the HZ14 and made different threadings??? Where are you Richard??..Dano

The only thing i can think of is when it exploded its possible it has swelled out 2.5mm, it’s the only thing i can think off
Andy

threads wide

Hi Andy, Went downstairs and measured the threads on the HZ14 with a caliper and got 61mm (probably actually 60mm)!! I think the "thread spread" theory holds water.....Dano

Last edited:
Thanks Dano, its the only thing it could be, did you say it was on a gas shell or an HE.
Andy

pop n choke

Hi Andy, From what I read says both explosive and gaz shells 77mm FK 96 n/A et FK 16 field guns..Dano

Thanks Dano, have you a spare shell kicking around in that trench :tinysmile_shy_t:
Cheers
Andy

US

Hi Andy, Don't have any WW1 German projectiles. I just can't get 'em over here. Great War Militaria had a partially exploded 77mm projectile, but when I caled them it was gone. Can't get any shipped from Europe as they are too heavy. WWI German is my main area of collecting and interest so always looking, but collecting this stuff in the US is tough at best. I can get the fuzes and shell casings as they can be shipped. Did let a few projectiles slip through my hands over the years but wish I hadn't....Dano

Thats a bugger you will have to move could not put up with not being able to collect.
Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy,
That is a KZ14 you have there for 77mm. The DoppZ 96 was screwed into an adapter which was then screwed into the neck of the shell while the KZ14 screwed directly into the shell.
Richard

Thanks Richard for confirming that i did wonder if that was the case, just got to find a relic shell now.
Cheers
Andy