What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Leaflet

Big Dave

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
This leaflet was the only non British paperwork in a group of maps and other paperwork ,found in the estate of a British Royal Artillery officer. Can anyone tell me is it Allied air dropped propaganda /artillery delivered ? It measures 16.5" by 5.25 " so seems a bit large ,or am i barking up the wrong tree ?
I can see it mentions July 1944 and the eastern front ,thats where my knowledge of German runs out !

Any help /thoughts welcome , regards Dave

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi Dave,,i have been trying to find out what i could about your leaflet after you showed it to me the other day..i have not found much but what i have found so far is .
Leaflet Z.G.42 (see bottom left of leaflet) was produced in 1944 by P.W.D/S.H.A.E.F the Psychological Warfare Division, Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force
The leaflet was first dropped by Aircraft on 10th August 1944 and the last drop was on 09 November 1944
Link to info on P.W.D/S.H.A.E.F .....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_Warfare_Division

Thanks Allan ive a few leaflets some air dropped and others artillery delivered and never had one this size ,we must have been trying to frighten the Germans by showing them we werent short of paper ! that or it was better to surrender to us than go fight the Russians .

That's a very interesting document, Dave, nice find.

It is, as written in the headline, directed to the higher ranks of the Wehrmacht, structured in three chapters:

1st - Warning about the situation of the Eastern Front: a critical summary what has happened there until Summer 44,

2nd - Reasons for this defeat (unreadable),

3rd - Where is the way out? (unreadable).

Better pictures or some scan's would be very helpful to read everything.

That's a very interesting document, Dave, nice find.

It is, as written in the headline, directed to the higher ranks of the Wehrmacht, structured in three chapters:

1st - Warning about the situation of the Eastern Front: a critical summary what has happened there until Summer 44,

2nd - Reasons for this defeat (unreadable),

3rd - Where is the way out? (unreadable).

Better pictures or some scan's would be very helpful to read everything.

try these sudelmuk

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 4
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 92.jpg
    92.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thanks Allan, thats clearly.
Its a bit much stuff to translate word by word, so I try to give a short resume.

The leaflet is addressed to all Officers of the Wehrmacht and signed by 16 Generals of the second and third row, which have been taken POW during the collapse of Heeresgruppe Mitte
in Summer 1944.
These people, naturally all WWI-veterans, declare the war as lost and therefore feel obliged to release the pamphlet in a Hour of destiny of the German people.

First: Warning about the situation of the Eastern Front

A critical summary what has happened there until Summer 44;
already the costly advance 1941 was only an apparent success with a first setback in Winter 41/42. The subsequent summer offensive, also an apparent success, culminated in the big defeat of Stalingrad. The last great German offensive 1943 in the Kursk-Orel area failed again, followed by a far-reaching Russian advance in the south until spring 44. Finally their summer offensive brought the whole middle section of the German front to collapse.
The dramatic situation is kept secret from the people; officially declared were only "planned withdrawals".

Second: Reasons for this defeat

In short: the political and military poor leadership of Adolf Hitler himself.
Hes accused of severe misjudgment regarding Russias fighting power, which finally led to the two front war.
The German fighting power has been wasted during the years by serious tactical mistakes; "the troop is continuously overused both mentally and physically".

"So Germany is now in horror right on the edge of the abyss"

Third: Where is the way out?

Hitler and his entourage lately proclaim: "victory or doom which proves that they no longer believe in a victory themselves.
The entire German people must not be sacrificed for that glow of an honorable doom of the top leadership.

Therefore the tasks of Generals and officers are:

1) Resoluteseparation of Hitlerand his circle,
2) Refusal to obey orders,
3) Immediate cessation of hostilities and senseless bloodshed."

End of resume.

My conclusion: this broadsheet contains too many unpleasant truths in order to call it clumsy propaganda.
On the contrary, it's quite well done .... whether it has been of some use ... I'm not sure? :hmmmm2:

Thank you very much Sudelmuk for your time and effort in translating this to English..
regards
allan

Just found the other leaflets so thought i would take some pics

Attachments

• DSCF3200.jpg
    DSCF3200.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF3201.JPG
    DSCF3201.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF3202.JPG
    DSCF3202.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF3203.JPG
    DSCF3203.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF3204.JPG
    DSCF3204.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF3205.JPG
    DSCF3205.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 19
thanks for posting the other leaflets Dave, are these all ww2 allied examples ?

Yes these are all Allied leaflets ,the red safe conduct one are quite common and where air dropped .The second one mentions the Westwall and i believe came from a artillery round [ i picked up 2 of these and both had a strange diamond shaped fold and twist ] and the third one came from a BOCN member and i believe it is also from an artillery round .If any of our German speaking members would like to translate or gives us the gist of what they say it would be appreciated ,regards Dave