What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German m1917 practice egg grenade holes

Hi all, Pictured is an m1917 German practice egg grenade. There are 4 holes bored and equally spaced around the grenade body. I have been told that these holes were bored after the fact as a de-mill while others have said that the holes were there in the first place and came that way on some practice eggs. May sound like a stupid question but would like opinions as to the origin of these holes? Dano

Attachments

• Picture 214.jpg
    Picture 214.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 36
Im sure the holes are original. Most german practice grenades ive seen have holes in them. Maybe to let a flash or puff of smoke out.
My practice egg has 3 holes around the bottom and a drill fuze.
Cheers dano.
Paul.

Attachments

• Page6eggPractice.jpg
    Page6eggPractice.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 25
egg

Thanks Paul, I really appreciate the input. I have seen others with different holes bore, some painted red, some not. Incidently this one came with a transport plug and the fuze that's in it now I made out of a bolt modified then painted the brass tone. too much time on my hands I guess? Thanx again, Dano

thanx

Hi Dan, Thanks for the input. Incidently i'm the guy that bought the '13 kugelhandgranate from you. It arrived safely, very happy. Dano

Hi Dan, Thanks for the input. Incidently i'm the guy that bought the '13 kugelhandgranate from you. It arrived safely, very happy. Dano

I have sold many Kugels in the closer past - but I think you are the guy from the USA I think? I am happy that you like it!

Waiting for new orders :tinysmile_twink_t: !!!

thanks, Dan