What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German M24 Throwing Practice Grenades

Kilroy was Here

Here are 3 "throwing practice stick grenades" I have in my collection. The oldest looking one at the top in picture, was the first I added to my collection, and the other two have been found recently.

The first one, (at top in first picture) I think is an original WW2 era training grenade. It was bought from a friend who said his father brought it back from the war, and he is the one who beat the hell out of it, and dented it all up when he was a young child, late 50's early 60's. I believe this friend, as I have know him a very long time, and his father was indeed a vet, so think for sure this grenade is a WW2 piece.

But....Not too sure about the 2 new additions. They are exactly the same as "each other" except condition, and are just very slightly different than the first grenade in dimensions of the metal head. The wood sticks are exactly the same dimensions. My first grenade at the top, has a welded seam on the side, the others do not, and it weighs 465gr, (which is about right for what a live M24 would have been) and the other two weigh 695gr each. Maybe the weight they would have been with a frag sleeve? This is the only reason I can see the difference in weight.

Haha, so now the Germans had a offensive and defensive training grenade??

Does someone know more about these two new "throwing practice" "M24's" ??

Regards, Steve
"Dr. Ruby"

Attachments

• P7260018.jpg
    P7260018.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 28
  • P7260019.jpg
    P7260019.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P7260020.jpg
    P7260020.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 19
  • P7260021.jpg
    P7260021.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 17
  • P7260022.jpg
    P7260022.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 16
well, Dr.Ruby, I'm not sure about these objects.
believe more they are simply a piece of sports equipment (barbells) in the (military) spirit of the times then ??? :tinysmile_shy_t:

M24's are called "potato mashers" - cause they are very similar to the potato mashers used in the pre war german kitchen.

Today many of these simple potato mashers are offered, sold and kept by the collectors just as WW2 "practice" stick grenades.

If you would like to buy just a pre 1945 german potato masher - no chance. They all became "practice" stick grenades.

Regards
Marcin

well, Dr.Ruby, I'm not sure about these objects.
believe more they are simply a piece of sports equipment (barbells) in the (military) spirit of the times then ??? :tinysmile_shy_t:

Hello Peter, how is it going? OK, yes I have heard and read this also, about these being sports equip. I also have seen many period pics of Germans wearing sports clothing throwing these type of "grenades".
I think they were used as you say, for physical conditioning, but the thrower would also perfect his grenade throwing abilities at the same time.

Do you think the 2 new ones to my collection I have shown, are WW2 vintage? Did they make these type of "potato mashers" after the war?

Here is a pic of another variety M24 "trainer" I have found. It has a little shorter handle, and weighs a little less. (435gr) It also has a welded seam on the side. I think this particular trainer looks to be a wartime item.

The other stick grenade on the left in first pic, is a copy of M24, made of fiberglass and wood. It was given to me from a friend I have know from the age of five. He has worked as a Prop Master for Universal Studios in California for over 35 years. When I told him a while ago that I collect WW2 hand grenades, he sent me this Movie prop grenade. There No telling how many movies and TV shows it has been in, but he said it had been used many times as a prop. It is a "Hollywood" grenade. :wink:

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• P7280001.jpg
    P7280001.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 11
  • P7280003.jpg
    P7280003.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P7280004.jpg
    P7280004.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 8
  • P7280006.jpg
    P7280006.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 6
M24's are called "potato mashers" - cause they are very similar to the potato mashers used in the pre war german kitchen.

Today many of these simple potato mashers are offered, sold and kept by the collectors just as WW2 "practice" stick grenades.

If you would like to buy just a pre 1945 german potato masher - no chance. They all became "practice" stick grenades.

Regards
Marcin

Hello Marcin, thanks for your thoughts. I like your theory about "pre 1945 potato mashers" :D

Regards, Steve

Last edited: