What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Plane Recovery

Yes i know one of my friends was the diver, i have seen the plane, its beautiful. Ben

This is great!!
Its always great to see something recovered such as this and the care that is taken to preserve it. Your friend and co did a superb job Ben.

.......thinking back to the P40 that was found in the desert, has anyone got any updates on that one? (it was such a shame to see this one looted and damaged the way it was)

thanks for the post Spotter

regards Kev

Great,Another peice of (rare)aviation history saved,I am sure that all concerned in the recovery will have the gratitude of a great many enthusiasts and ordinary people,
Well done to everyone,
Hi Spotter,thanks for posting
Regards and thanks,
Don,

thanks really go to my sister in law who spotted it and thought you might be interested

That is magnificent to see it is that good of a condition. To see her restored will be great too! As a young 'un, I once had the privilage of being able to visit the Paul E. garber facility (the area they restore aircraft for the Smithsonians Air and Space Museum here in the USA). When I was there I got a chance to see a FW-190 being delicately stripped of her paint, each time they sanded they would find another paint scheme...if I remember right they said at the time there was 5 different theater of operations they found colors for (Next time I saw the FW-190 it would appear on television on "Wings of the Luftwaffe"). Also got to see the Enola Gay before her restoration, as well as one of the Horton Flying Wings.

This is the stuff dreams and memories are made of...sorry to hijack the thread....just made me a little sentimental there for a few...

Mikhail

a FW-190 being delicately stripped of her paint, each time they sanded they would find another paint scheme...if I remember right they said at the time there was 5 different theater of operations they found colors for

This is what I mean, they destroy real artifacts and make shiny trumpery of it till the final day when we can watch them how they excavate themselfes vetically into the ground during an air show. (at best they sit in a museum and are as useless as a mock up since basically not to be told apart anymore)

Sad our bubble gum society is more interested in polished fronts rather than in originals with history and souls. Any of those recovered and restored aircraft (or tank or what ever) is a rape of history (and a loss to it).

My opinion that will never change...

Great story.

I wonder how the "discovery/recovery" of the Dornier 17 that was found on the sea bed a while back, is going?

Probably still trying to get full funding although I hear the Lottery fund has come up with some cash . Fingers crossed !