What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German SC2500 kg "Max"

G1u53pp3

Good afternoon, near where I live there is this airplane bomb. I think it can be traced back to a SC 2500 kg Max. Can anyone give me some information on the writing that is engraved and on the symbol? "1110 hqb" Maybe with some reference to some manual. A thousand thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-09-15-14-13-146_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-09-15-14-13-146_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20230909_151354.jpg
    IMG_20230909_151354.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20230909_151244.jpg
    IMG_20230909_151244.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230909_151522.jpg
    IMG_20230909_151522.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 73
Good afternoon, near where I live there is this airplane bomb. I think it can be traced back to a SC 2500 kg Max. Can anyone give me some information on the writing that is engraved and on the symbol? "1110 hqb" Maybe with some reference to some manual. A thousand thanks.
hqb. Is the triageramme of Schmidding .Wilhelm Apperate u Maschinenbau werk Bodenbach / Elbe
all the Max that were dropped in the U.K. functioned which is why Bomb disposal were not informed of its exsistance. Although known about .

do you have any documents that talk about this?
I have the German code book published in Berlin in 1944 the eagle over the 5 is the factory inspectors stamp
The information of the max all functioning came from various sources and by wartime Bomb disposal officers who only towards the end of the war found out about them.
as the bomb is so large it was carried outside of the aircraft and would have been painted sky blue .
I’ve just looked in the German manual LDV4200 and at the moment cannot find the Max in there .

Last edited:
I have the German code book published in Berlin in 1944 the eagle over the 5 is the factory inspectors stamp
The information of the max all functioning came from various sources and by wartime Bomb disposal officers who only towards the end of the war found out about them.
as the bomb is so large it was carried outside of the aircraft and would have been painted sky blue .
I’ve just looked in the German manual LDV4200 and at the moment cannot find the Max in there .
I have these but I couldn't find anything about that marking. Can you show me the cover of your book please?

Attachments

• IMG_20230909_235006.jpg
    IMG_20230909_235006.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230909_234948.jpg
    IMG_20230909_234948.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230909_234930.jpg
    IMG_20230909_234930.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 7
hqb. Is the triageramme of Schmidding .Wilhelm Apperate u Maschinenbau werk Bodenbach / Elbe
all the Max that were dropped in the U.K. functioned which is why Bomb disposal were not informed of its exsistance. Although known about
In fact I'm trying to understand what this bomb is doing here in Italy. In my opinion it is very rare to find it here.

In fact I'm trying to understand what this bomb is doing here in Italy. In my opinion it is very rare to find it here.
Iff I'm not mistaken there was an ordnance disposal unit stationed at or near Peschiera del Garda post WW2.
I stayed at Peschiera during a spring holiday in 2015 (Saw the same bomb !).

I missed out (due to only finding out the evening before returning home) on an exposition regarding UXO/ERW clearance of the aera and the lake, in a village near Peschiera.
I can't recall which village, but definately one of the villages on the shore of lake Garda north of Peschiera.
In my memory this exposition would have been in an old castle / tower like building.

Best regards,

Menno.

P.s. could this bomb be an SC2000 ?
Compared to a picture claiming to show an SC2500, the body of the "Peschiera bomb" seems shorter.

Attachments

• sxvklmp_1.jpg
    sxvklmp_1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Iff I'm not mistaken there was an ordnance disposal unit stationed at or near Peschiera del Garda post WW2.
I stayed at Peschiera during a spring holiday in 2015 (Saw the same bomb !).

I missed out (due to only finding out the evening before returning home) on an exposition regarding UXO/ERW clearance of the aera and the lake, in a village near Peschiera.
I can't recall which village, but definately one of the villages on the shore of lake Garda north of Peschiera.
In my memory this exposition would have been in an old castle / tower like building.

Best regards,

Menno.

P.s. could this bomb be an SC2000 ?
Compared to a picture claiming to show an SC2500, the body of the "Peschiera bomb" seems shorter.
Exactly, it is located in Peschiera del Garda. but it is really strange that this type of bomb is here. in Italy they have never been used. Perhaps the German troops brought her to Italy to use her but then this did not happen.. Can you tell me more about this "Ordnance Disposal Unit"? I can guarantee you that it is a 2500 kg SC. The colors are wrong, but this is the bomb.

I found it in my documents!

Attachments

• Bomb_SC2500 Nfs compressed.jpg
    Bomb_SC2500 Nfs compressed.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 32
  • German_SC_2500_bomb_1940.jpg
    German_SC_2500_bomb_1940.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • SC 2500..jpg
    SC 2500..jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 30
Exactly, it is located in Peschiera del Garda. but it is really strange that this type of bomb is here. in Italy they have never been used. Perhaps the German troops brought her to Italy to use her but then this did not happen.. Can you tell me more about this "Ordnance Disposal Unit"? I can guarantee you that it is a 2500 kg SC. The colors are wrong, but this is the bomb.
Hey G1u,

I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about the unit(s).
All the info I had (about the expo) came from a flyer which I incidentally picked up somewhere when on a holiday in the region.
It wasn't untill the very evening before flying home, that we, after having had diner in "some village near Peschiera", literally walked by the place (some sort of tower iff I remember correctly) where the expo was held. I only recognized it as the place had some banners on flagpoles. It must be/have been a very small local venue.
That time of day the place, natrurally, was closed. So I never got to visit.

I do remember the expo being about the ERW clearance work that took place around/ in /on Lago di Garda in the early period post WW2. Besides that, there was some focus on naval ordnance, as Lago di Garda had been mined against shipborne movements.
So retrieving info on the expo might be a lead towards futher fact finding. I've tried, but so far, in vain.

The buildings directly near the site of the "Max" at Peschiera somehow struck me as possibly being of military origin (I was in the RNLA for some years), industrial at least.
With "Max" placed at that specific site (why there iff no historical connection?) to me it seemed possible that some unit might have been stationned in those buildings. So maybe finding out about the history of these buildings, may provide leads??

I do not know whether or not the expo was temporary, or in what village it was. I am certain that we did not travel far from Peschiera for diner (say a 15/20 min. drive tops). As we had to rise early next day, and my daughter only being eight at the time.

Sorry, I can't provide anything more solid.

Best regards

Last edited:
Hey G1u,

I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about the unit(s).
All the info I had (about the expo) came from a flyer which I incidentally picked up somewhere when on a holiday in the region.
It wasn't untill the very evening before flying home, that we, after having had diner in "some village near Peschiera", literally walked by the place (some sort of tower iff I remember correctly) where the expo was held. I only recognized it as the place had some banners on flagpoles. It must be/have been a very small local venue.
That time of day the place, natrurally, was closed. So I never got to visit.

I do remember the expo being about the ERW clearance work that took place around/ in /on Lago di Garda in the early period post WW2. Besides that, there was some focus on naval ordnance, as Lago di Garda had been mined against shipborne movements.
So retrieving info on the expo might be a lead towards futher fact finding. I've tried, but so far, in vain.

The buildings directly near the site of the "Max" at Peschiera somehow struck me as possibly being of military origin (I was in the RNLA for some years), industrial at least.
With "Max" placed at that specific site (why there iff no historical connection?) to me it seemed possible that some unit might have been stationned in those buildings. So maybe finding out about the history of these buildings, may provide leads??

I do not know whether or not the expo was temporary, or in what village it was. I am certain that we did not travel far from Peschiera for diner (say a 15/20 min. drive tops). As we had to rise early next day, and my daughter only being eight at the time.

Sorry, I can't provide anything more solid.

Best regards
Thanks a lot!!