What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German smoke shells/projectiles

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi all,

a mate today told me that during both World Wars, the German army never used smoke, be it from shell, mortar or any other method of transmission.
Can any learned forum member confirm this?
I believe it was initially used during WW1 with gas shells by the British in order to block the German gas mask filters which caused them to have to remove them as a last salvoe of gas ordnance was fired. It was then seen that it was good for providing cover.
I was suprised at this information. Anyone know otherwise?

Andy

smoke grenade

On page 7 of Delhomme book on WW1 grenades there is an incendiary grenade pictured. The last line of text on the grenade reads "this grenade could also contain a smoke charge, in which case it was labeled "NEBEL" in white letters in order to prevent confusion."

Thanks Dano,
ever heard of any artillery shells being used? Were the fuzes any different?

Andy

smoke shell

Hey andy, I don't know if Germany ever used smoke artillery. I'm no expert but will check into it as it makes me curious also. Dano

Hi
Since WW1
Germany always used Smoke mixture in:
Minen 7.6 LSpM 16 N; F( anhydride sulfuric, chloride sufuric)
Artillery 15 cm Gr 12 Verst (HE and Smoke R or S or N)
Other calibers shell and aerial bomb with small marking impact With little cylinder of Red phosporus melted with arsenic in HE composition
So big Generator of smoke
Alway used since WWII in Shell rockets and bomb
Too long to list here all

Hi Dano,
it is an interesting fact if the Germans didnt use something as tactically useful as smoke in either World War. From what i have been told, i gather they did not which is quite suprising. Why didnt they use it? We did to very good effect in ordnance that was delivered in every possible way.
I think this is quite a strange fact if its true.

Andy

Hi
Since WW1
Germany always used Smoke mixture in:
Minen 7.6 LSpM 16 N; F( anhydride sulfuric, chloride sufuric)
Artillery 15 cm Gr 12 Verst (HE and Smoke R or S or N)
Other calibers shell and aerial bomb with small marking impact With little cylinder of Red phosporus melted with arsenic in HE composition
So big Generator of smoke
Alway used since WWII in Shell rockets and bomb
Too long to list here all
Hi Doctor,
been doing a little 'digging' on this subject on another forum and have been told that as of 1/5/18 there was no 'Intelligence' information whatsoever on any type of German smoke shell whatsoever as far as the British were concerned. Plenty of info on just about every other type but nothing on smoke.

Andy

Hi
The various ammunition listed for the first war are known, real smoke and described in German:Artillery, the projectiles, general headquarters of the armies of the east, 1917 and 1919 (French books);and (same in english: Notes on german shells, 1916)
The German ammunition of the second conflicts are entirely confirmed and described in several documents and do not make any doubt about their employment and existances as Smoke shell (id for chemical since WW2, not used but real)

German NEBEL grenade

Pictured is the German WW1 incendiary grenade which was also a smoke grenade if it was labeled "NEBEL" in white letters

Attachments

• ordnance pics 031.jpg
    ordnance pics 031.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 10