What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German wooden block mines Type A and B

BMG50

Premium Member
Anyone seen these or have one in their collection that they could give more measurements and show some photo's. As you can see only part measurements typical with manual drawings. These mines take the 100 gram Bohrpatrone 28 charge. Type A is set off with a Z42 igniter and type B is chemical ignited.

Attachments

• WOODEN BLOCK MINE TYPE B.jpg
    WOODEN BLOCK MINE TYPE B.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 65
  • wooden box minetypeA.JPG
    wooden box minetypeA.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
These two ones are pretty eccentric pieces!

There are German EOD-fact sheets, but without more informations ('no official documents available').
According to this source the nomenclature is 'Holzklotzmine A' (chemical fuse) and 'Holzklotzmine B' (ZZ 42).

To be honest, I believe this couple being a typical late war fart. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Particularly the A-type; what an effort to initiate a 100 gr.-charge??

Last edited:
I suppose its an effort to set off a 100grm charge but if its the only type of charge that you have to hand and you have an enemy to deal with then it gives the user an option to make use of that type of charge. I suppose a 100grm charge in a wooden block would give you an excuse to pay a visit to the local boot cobbler, a 200 grm charge would certainly remove boot and foot.
It make me wonder if some of these uncommon mines were actually used but only used in rare isolated cases during the war. It would be interesting to fine out what was in popular use and what was not.

Had a go at making the two versions estimating the rest of the sizes from the two measurements given. The chemical block has to have the pressure block made.

Attachments

• IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2301.JPG
    IMG_2301.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2302.JPG
    IMG_2302.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 33
Well done, mate.
Nice educationally valuable wooden toys for small and grown-up children. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Finally the color will be essential for a successful finish.

What would be a sutable colour for these, a matt field grey? Or were they left in a natural state like the Schu mine 42.