What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW1 15cm cartridge case

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured for interest is the base of a German Navy WW1 150x575 cartridge case made in February 1904. I understand that this case was initially for the 15cm Sk L/45 secondary armament on German battleships. Later it was pressed into service as a coast defence gun. This use continued into WW2 which may explain the 1943 dated primer fitted. The pictures are not brilliant as I cannot clean the case further without removing the paint markings.

For clarity case is marked: PATRONENFABRIK KARLSRUHE II 1904 crowned M and 65, with a number of reloading marks.

Primer: C12nAST 43 27 byw

Paint: 8.2kg Katz 255 and a J in a circle.

Comments welcome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 79
the ink stamps and the primer screw are from 2nd World War. ktz = Deutsche Sprengchemie, Klietz plant

Hello Vasco Da Gama,

I always thought the 150x575 mm case was for the different 15 cm S.K. L/40 guns of the navy and the 150x815 mm case was for the 15 cm S.K. L/45 naval guns?
Have I been wrong all this time?

Thanks Arjen, sorry for the slow reply I wanted to do some research over the weekend. I think that you are correct and that the 575mm case length is for the L40 guns and the 815mm length for the L45 guns. Although I did not find a reference that confirmed the case length I did find a reference that indicated that the L45 guns had a bigger chamber volume than the L40. So I think that you are right!