What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW1 discus grenades

The German WW1 m1913 and m1915 discus grenades have long been a favorite of mine. One of the criteria of what I collect is that in my mind it has to look cool. And these discus grenades certainly have the eye appeal. On the far left is an m1913 defensive discus with the alloy guts. These smaller defensive grenades are far harder to find than their offensive counterparts. Next is an m1915 defensive discus. The defensive m1915 differs from the m1913 in that the guts are made of tin instead of alloy. Next is my first attempt at a section. It is an m1915 offensive discus. I started with the intention of sectioning the guts also but the work proved to be far too intricitate for my aging hands and eyes so I just stopped here. The next two are both m1915 offensive discus grenades. I have another on the way which is a m1915 offensive practice discus which is red in color to signify it was for practice. I'm not sure of the ratio on the discus grenades but with the m1917 eggs there was one practice grenade for every case of 50 live ones. IU assume the ratio would be somewhat similar on the discus units...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 522.jpg
    Picture 522.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Here is a picture that will really get you in the mood:

Attachments

• GermanHandGrenades1.jpg
    GermanHandGrenades1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for the kind words Rob, and Jan WOW now that is a box of discus grenades anyone would love to have. cool stuff...Dano

Sure does Jan. I have a pamphlet that states the discus grenades were shipped armed! So I really do wonder just what the middle compartments did hold? Where on earth did you find that fine photo. May I use it in my photo files? Best...Dano

Found it on the internet but can't remember were (will have to search
again, but do remember there was no copyright mentioned or origin). Also
found pictures of other fully loaded German hand- and rifle grenade boxes
on that same website (I have seen these pictures before on other
websites but then the 'owner' placed there website's name on them. These
are probably the original ones.

Attachments

• GermanHandGrenades3.jpg
    GermanHandGrenades3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 44
  • GermanHandGrenades2.jpg
    GermanHandGrenades2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Thanks Jan, most excellent pictures. That is the first '16 granatenwerfer projectile box i've seen. I think Dave83 is gonna love seeing that box. And man I wish I had a pile of stick grenades like that! Thanks a million for sharing the pictures as they just "do it for me"...Dano

You're welcome. Making a similar box won't be a problem, try filling them :tinysmile_twink_t2: