What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German ww2 - 2kg paravane bomb

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Hello all,

I'm looking for any information on the following ' 2kg Paravane Bomb '

Does anyone know if this was ever used or was it just an experimental item?

I have been intrigued by these drawings for some time and wondered if anyone had any further information on this one, or indeed if there were any photographs of any in existance?

The fuze is listed as a 'modified type 70' - hence my interest??

Thanks in advance

regards Kev
HPIM6742.jpg
HPIM6743.jpg

Never seen this before Kev?
The only vaned adaptor i can think of is for the SD-9. That used a 41A. There is a thread knocking around on BOCN if you dig deep.

best of luck

waff

Last edited:
Hi Waff,

Yes I know the one you mean, the 41A fuze with vaned attatchement was used with the adapted artillery shell with fins as a form of bomb.

This is something else completely different and I haven't seen any other reference to it at all. There is basic information with the drawings, however what I would like to know is if it was actually used and/or if any pictures exist of it?

I think it was designed to be used against allied bomber formations (chiefly USAAF), however I'm pretty much in the dark as to much else. It would appear that this was designed to be dragged behind the attacking aircraft, presumably until it contacted with a bomber?? To be honest I'm pretty vague on the whole design, hence the post.

I guess the adaption of the 70 fuze was so that it would have an instantaneous effect, though would it stand up to the stresses, these were sensitive fuzes to say the least.

hmmmmm, a really interesting one this one.........maybe someone could provide some answers.

regards Kev