What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German ww2 Bomb tailfins.

waffenamt

To restore or not to restore is the question?

Previously I-Deed as tailfins from a german ww2 Flam-Bomb,these are now in my collection thanks to my friend and mentor Mick.
As seen in the pics,i have given the tails a good soak with WD-40 but now debating the originality of the current green paint?
There are some nice waff stamps under that gunk.
Is this worth a re-paint?

Over to you boys.

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7007595.jpg
    S7007595.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 48
  • S7007597.jpg
    S7007597.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 57
  • S7007596.jpg
    S7007596.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 47
  • S7007593.jpg
    S7007593.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 45
  • S7007592.jpg
    S7007592.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 45
For my own collection I would not repaint it as there is so much original paint remaining. I would just protect to prevent from further corrosion.

I agree with Tmine35, leave them as they are. Much better to leave the original paint. Thats a nice set of fins you have there, some great markings too!!

regards Kev

Waff leave it like it is, repainted items are never as good as the original ones, Ben

Ok Gentlemen,thank you for your inputs. :)
I was not sure if it was already a re-paint judging by the flaking of the paint?
I shall leave as is and try to arrest the corrosion.

cheers

waff

Waff, a quick way to check the paint is to compare the shade of green to another item that you know to be original ....incendiary fins or the like. Its almost impossible to replicate the original paint shade. I have seen shades that come close, but not spot on.
The colour looks good to me, from what I can see on the computer screen..........and it has the correct red undercoat too.
I think you may find the flaking is just due to the climate it has been kept in.

hope this helps
regards Kev

Waff, a quick way to check the paint is to compare the shade of green to another item that you know to be original ....incendiary fins or the like. Its almost impossible to replicate the original paint shade. I have seen shades that come close, but not spot on.
The colour looks good to me, from what I can see on the computer screen..........and it has the correct red undercoat too.
I think you may find the flaking is just due to the climate it has been kept in.

hope this helps
regards Kev

Good points there Kev regards the colour and storage.
They were apparently stashed in an old cottage attic for years.The bomb case they came with(not matching the tails) was also in a bit of a state but thats undergoing restoration and belongs to my pal Mick.
Ive blitzed the tails with WD,good wipe over and re-coat of WD again.

cheers

waff

What a nice set of tails for an early SC with a fair amount of paint left,leave them just as they are,or just apply a thin
coat of sythentic matt laquer to preserve whats there and enhance the look.

Best phil

What a nice set of tails for an early SC with a fair amount of paint left,leave them just as they are,or just apply a thin
coat of sythentic matt laquer to preserve whats there and enhance the look.

Best phil

Thanks Phil . :)
Will the lacquer react with the existing paint or the WD-40 with bad results?

cheers

waff

Last edited: