What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German ww2 helmet

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
Maybe not something for this forum, but I'm not member of militaria forums.
I have a very little knowledge in militaria stuff.
A friend gave me this helmet and I have a doubt about its authenticity.
In a very good condition but the paint looks like it has been brushed to mimic the wear of time.
Looks like a model 1940 with internal details of model 1935. Is it a copy or a reassembly ?
TIA

IMG_1202.jpgIMG_1203.jpgIMG_1199.jpgIMG_1200.jpgIMG_1204.jpgIMG_1205.jpgIMG_1206.jpgIMG_1215.jpgIMG_1212.jpgIMG_1214.jpg

It might be a Norwegian re-issue. These were original WW2 helmets that were refurbished after the war for the Norwegian armed forces. These typically had dark brown liners and often are found with the decals rubbed off and replaced with German ones. This can be confirmed by examining the rivets that hold the leather. If they are copper or brass, then its Norwegian.
Fred

Thanks for you reply, brass rivets for the leather.
Ok that's why paint has been brushed on both sides, to remove the Norwegian badge.

Last edited:
If you were to closely examine it, most of the parts will have original WW2 makers marks. These things have their own history that goes beyond 1945, a bit like the Finnish 88mm shells.
fred