What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WWI discus grenades

Well it's been no big secret that the German WWI discus grenade is one of my favorite. Well obviously I now have my computer back on line and never at a loss for words I think i'll just jump right in and get started. Starting with the defensive discus (m1913), this is the smaller heavier discus with alloy larger guts. Then in 1915 the discus was revised with the smaller defensive body getting lighter stamped tin guts, and a larger offensive version was also introduced with a larger lighter stamped tin (instead of cast) body. Now the basic m1913 defensive discus with the alloy guts is not common at all but can still be found and usually at a premium price. Even harder to find id the m1915 defensive discus with the tin guts (really a tough find) while the m1915 offensive discus is extremely common and can be had for 70.00 to 100.00us. I have several m1915 German WWI offensive discus grenades and one m1913 defensive discus with the aloy guts. Well some time back I found the grenade shell halves of the defensive discus on e-bay. The price for the shell halves was steep but when trying to find this rare jewel is at best difficult. With all the extra 1915 offensive discus grenades I have in surplus, I decided to canabalize the guts from a '15 offensive discus, appropriately cut down the size and fit the newly made guts into the defensive cast shell halves. The guts fit the body perfectly but obviously the ends of the guts were far too long for a proper fit. I marked the four brass capped extensions and cut them down to proper size with a circular saw fitted with a metal cutting blade. Now for the upper and lower extentions, I carefully tapped off the cap that held the ring and pin and cut the extention to proper size and carefully tapped the cap back into place. I then drilled a hole to accept the pill pin and ring. The process for the bottom extention was very similar. Now all parts are in place and I just have the finishing touches to put on it. Many may cry "foul" as this is a made up grenade, albeit it will look great and nothing but original WWI discus parts were used. When I find my camera I will kind of go through the process of the transformation. It will be very displayable with the guts loose inside of the shell halves (as it should be). I have expanded my collection to include many "go-withs" (especially German) like a nice imperial proofed trench knife, belt buckle and general stuff to make mini diaramic displays for my new trench which will be coming as soon as we find a new house (looking). My CPU was down for months and is now operational. I miss all you guys because beside my immediate family you'll are my family. Will post transformation of discus when I find my digi cam. Great to be back in the fold.........ALWAYS......Dano

Last edited:
I have the more common offensive disk grenade but it's not in good condition. And I consider it to be on the rare side these days try finding one here int the US.

A close friend of ours, just found over 50 Discus Grenades in France while digging in his vegitable patch. We are buying a dozen, not sure which version (according to Dano's info) but if anyone want's to buy one (or more) drop us a PM as should have them begining of March. Will have them all cleaned up by then and all are very good condition i.e. solid shells, no holes & complete as burried in "Clay" which is very messy stuff !!!! but protects items from erosion and decay. Apparently all the explosive filling had expanded somehow popping the clam shells open thus making it very easy to clean all residue from inside them with warm soapywater. Barry & Marcus