What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WWII L.J.G. 18 75mm Shell Casings

M8owner

I just picked up two LJG 18 casings out of Russia. I could not find any photos of this type of casing on the site, so I thought I would share. Are these things common in Europe?

It is interesting that they appear to be from two different manufacturers, and neither one has a date on the casing. it is also interesting that the LJG 18 stamp appears to be a secondary operation to the original marking in both cases. The primers do come out, and I never thought to ask this question before, "Are German primers smooth on the bottom when they are unfired?" I am currently under the assumption that the dimple in the middle is the impact mark from the firing pin. US cannon firing pins have rather large pins compared to these if that is true. I would think that the German weapon firing pins would wear out quickly impacting on steel with such a needle like pointLJG18.jpg - even if they were hardened steel.

Dug-up steel cases are plenty here, but brass cases are more rare.
Yes, unfired German primers are smooth on middle. The mark in middle is typical. If the anvil unscrews you may punch the firing pin mark up again, if you want.