What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glass Float

Investment

Hi,

The owner of this glass float told me that it was found on a beach in south west England.

It's approximately 12cm high by 12cm wide.

It has an anchor stamp on the glass. :hmmmm2:

I was just wondering if anyone has seen one before and knows what it was used for ?

Many thanks,

Invest

Attachments

• Glass Float (1).jpg
    Glass Float (1).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Glass Float (2).jpg
    Glass Float (2).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Glass Float (3).jpg
    Glass Float (3).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Glass Float (4).jpg
    Glass Float (4).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 28
Hi
Sorry NO rare grenade!
It's simply an old glass ball used for fishing
this ball have lost fishing net

I'm sour it is a fishnet flotation. I got several of those. They are quit common i Norway. The on you got is probably a Norwegian deserter :)

No other markings on it that I could see except for the anchor.

Many thanks for your comments guys, greatly appreciated. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Fishermans tools.

Freaky is right about its use, we used to have several of these around the garden many years ago and all were beach collections and one came complete with the remains of a net !

That looks like an old fishermans float to me. I have seen steel and aluminium ones but nowdays they mostly use plastic.

I remember reading that British tanks which participated in the Dieppe landings carried glass balls filled with nitro glycerine. If the crews had to abandon the tank they could use these to destroy it. This sounds a bit far fetched, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Fred

That looks like an old fishermans float to me. I have seen steel and aluminium ones but nowdays they mostly use plastic.

I remember reading that British tanks which participated in the Dieppe landings carried glass balls filled with nitro glycerine. If the crews had to abandon the tank they could use these to destroy it. This sounds a bit far fetched, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Fred

Being as Nitro Glycerene is such a highly volatile chemical I would say it is extremely unlikely that anyone would take any glass spheres filled with NG anywhere near a battlefield unless they had a suicide wish, one of the usual methods to destroy a tank effectively is to drop a 36 mills down the Gun tube-it blows the barrel and therefore renders the tanks armanent useless.
The resulting explosion usually messes the inside workings (electrics guages etc) of the tank up to such a degree that it will be unlikely to be in a state that can be used for anything other than a target.

Fishing float

Those blown glass fishing floats are cool and definately a collectible themselves. there is a variety of sizes and colors and make a great garden item along with some well placed inert bombs!

Fred

I think your referring to No.74 Sticky Bombs?
A glass flask containing nitro, inside stockinette impregnated with adhesive. Stricker mechanism in handle, which screws into the glass flask, 5-sec. fuze. Sheet metal hemispheres clamp around outside, for carrying.