What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goliath,did we have an similar

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
The Germans had the Goliath remote control tracked bomb,was wondering did the British or other countries use anything of similar design

attatched image from armystuff(unknown source)

Attachments

• D025.jpg
    D025.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 55
I don't know of any allied tracked or wheeled remote control bombs from the WWII period. But I am aware of a boat project that was developed by the OSS that fits the description.

It was called project Campbell and was built around an explosive filled boat camouflaged to look like a local native fishing boat. Of course, the style of the boat would change depending on what boats in the region looked like. It was to be controlled by radio signals from an aircraft flying overhead.

The bow had a "pinning charge" that would attach the nose of the boat to the target ship. Then a scuttling charge would blow a hole in the boat's hull allowing it to sink and swing down against the hull of the ship and detonate the main charge well below the water line. This would help assure greater damage and make the target more likely to sink.

I have a copy of the OSS proposal around here somewhere and I don't recall the idea ever got past the testing phase. They actually did build some but don't think they were ever used in combat. So maybe not tracked, but it was a remote controlled demolition vehicle.

The germans also used a much bigger version of the goliath they have one at bovington it was a bit bigger that one of those kettenkrad half track motorbikes can't remember much more about it though.

Posted a pictre of a Goliath on another forum just yesterday. Its funny that the UK developed the EOD robot from old electric wheelbarrow parts in the early 1970s and after a few years ended up with something looking a lot like a Goliath. Might have been easier to take a trip to Bovington to see how the Germans did it in the 1940s!

As far as i know Britain never had anything like goliath , a friend of mine defuzed several in France in 1944 whilst with 18 coy Royal Engineers and in their spare time they used to race these against each other , his records survive in the national archives , which mentions these goiliaths being captured.