What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gotta love the internet

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Remember the days when if you had half a dozen good international ordnance contacts, you were doing well? It wasn’t that long ago and whilst competition (and prices) was a lot less, so was the variety. Then came the Internet and all the old rules changed. Now most of us have a large number of good like-minded friends all over the world that we can trade goodies and swap information with.
I think the history of a rather modest stick grenade I have illustrates really well how the Internet has changed what’s possible.
In the mid eighties I was living in London and purchased a pretty rough HE stick grenade from Regimentals. The stick was in average condition and stamped 43 EVY. The head had been heavily restored, but looked OK sporting a fragmentation sleeve. The porcelain ball cap was of WW1 vintage and there were no internals.
In the early days of EBay I picked up a BZ24 igniter in similar condition and stamped 43 EVY. I’ve since got what I’m told is a cold weather metal porcelain ball cap, found in WW2 trenches by a Finnish collector; actually these came via a fellow NZ collector, along with an inert detonator. Most recently I got a replacement head in similar condition from an on-line auction. It is stenciled with a K and a 1943 filling date, indicating cold climate use. It is also stamped 43 EVY. Now this will never be a mint example, but it’s starting to look quite cool. All that’s needed now is a replacement screw connector for the handle and the can in similar condition, a pull ball and cord and my 20+ year mission will be over.
Aren’t the internet great.

Attachments

• 1 stick grenade.jpg
    1 stick grenade.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 61