What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings

XSiggy

Hi everyone - first post.
I have a cartridge case which I suspect is post WW2 but it has an interesting provenance.
The markings are R^L 52 7. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

303 Round.jpg

Hi XSiggy,

Welcome to the best Ordnance site there is!

This looks like a case for the .303" Ball Mk.7, and from the striker mark on the primer, it looks like it was fired from a Bren gun. It was made by Woolwich Arsenal (the "RL" stands for Royal Laboratory, which was the ammunition-making part of the arsenal) in 1952. The Broad Arrow is the British "Government Property" mark.

Regards,
Roger.

Hi XSiggy,Welcome to the forum,enjoy your visits and all this site has to offer,
Regards,
Don,

Hi XSiggy,welcome to BOCN...as Roger says,run of the mill stuff I'm afraid,what is the interesting provenance that comes with this case?

All the best
Tony

The squarish portion of the primer is actually raised and not smooth as in every other .303 cartridge I've seen - not a good photo I'm afraid. I picked this up by the fort at Mirbat almost exactly 30 years after the battle.