What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade launching cartridges

sgtlynn

I just picked up three full tins of these .303 H Mk. 1Z (Canadian pattern), nice additions to the collection. Labels could be nicer but I expect they are fairly scarce by now. All dated 1942

Attachments

• launching cartridges 1.jpg
    launching cartridges 1.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 110
  • launching cartridges 2.jpg
    launching cartridges 2.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 83
Very nice Darryl. Do we know how the Canadian pattern launching rounds differ from other British loadings? Just curious.

Rick

I believe the only difference in the "Canadian pattern" is the use of the smaller diameter Boxer primer

Richard.

I certainly don't know, my book doesn't seem to differentiate nor does it mention the (Canadian Pattern).

The best set of books I have found for individual pattern details are the set of "Identification Manuals on the .303 British Service Cartridge" by B.A. Temple, there are 5 in the set and they give an in depth description and drawing or each Mark/Type/Pattern of rounds.

No.1 - Ball Ammunition
No.2 - Blank Ammunition
No.3 - Special Purpose Ammunition
No.4 & No.5 - Dummy Cartridges

They come up on ebay and the internet occationally.

Rich

Very nice. I was unaware of the Canadian tin can or spam can type containers. Thank you for sharing.

You will find a detailed description of this Grenade Cartridge in Barry's book No. 2- Blank Ammunition, on Page 55. The small primer is one of the identifying points.