What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grey 18 pdr

Gspragge

Premium Member
I just picked up this grey painted 18 Pr. I show it beside a black painted example.
Both are dated 1917. Why would one be grey at all ? Some of the grey looks like it
is in the release stamps ? It sure looks original to me, has any one seen another ?
The wood plug came in it but is just too loose to fit the threads so I don't know
what it was really for, has any one seen another ? I have seen a grey painted wartime made 15pr projectile
but nothing else.

Does anyone have any ideas on this.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 3.jpg
    IMG_0001 3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0002 2.jpg
    IMG_0002 2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 90
Confusing

Grey indicates a chemical filling. However, some 13, 15 & 18 PR shrapnel were painted 'Slate' which is open to interpretation. As far as I'm aware, for that period, the yellow filling ring indicates a target shell. Are there any stampings around the top of the projectile? Over the past 99 years the original colour may have changed.

TimG

Last edited:
Hi
the shrapnel shell Mk 1 to 3 are painted grey and after black when chemical shell were producing

The Orange is as far as I have heard red which has changed over time , a yellow band I think would be
different. Chemical 18prs are as far as I know HE bodies with a side filling hole. Slate would very likely be a grey colour
of some form. My other concern was grey in the release stamps - but this does look original and not any form of
repaint. Has any one seen the wood plug used elsewhere before ?

Gordon,

On the laptop I was using this morning that tip was definitely yellow! I can now see it's an orange, which as you say is more than likely an aged red. With what Doctor states, I think it can be assumed to be 18 PR Shrapnel with the early style body colour scheme. Are there any internals? What are the markings? I can only make out S Ltd.

TimG

Grey example
QF 18pr
lX
FS
S Ltd
15 8 17
VO
Numbers on the base

My black one;
A (back slash /) 11025 C broad arrow
QF 18 PR
lX
FS
N M & unclear Co
11 9 17
unclear E

The black one has the push plate, the other is empty.

If the 1906 18prs were black, when did they change to grey and
back to black ?

It seems confusing, are there other grey examples out there ? I didn't know
they existed until this one turned up.

Last edited:
There is mention of lead colour for some Shrapnel shell in the 1915 Treatise of Ammunition. A later edition would no doubt help with the later marks of shell.

Tom.

Attachments

• ToA1915­_2.jpg
    ToA1915­_2.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 18
  • ToA1915­_1.jpg
    ToA1915­_1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 27
Makes some sense now, though it appears that a return
to black must have occoured in 1917 going by the dates of mine.
I guess that grey was kept on through Mks ll - lX at any rate.
The only ww1 made 15pdr projectile I have seen uses the 2"
thread and No 80 fuze and was Canadian made (some 300,000+
were made) as different from the drawing.